Isolating a recessed light to it's own switch

Old 08-02-06, 05:52 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Isolating a recessed light to it's own switch

I have hopefully the last question on my recessed light project. The advice I have been getting is great, and much appreciated. A quick recap: I am installing 7 recessed lights, replacing the original light fixture, flipping that box for attic access, and daisy-chaining the recessed lights from that box. The power source comes into that box from the main panel (15 amp, 14-2), then has a switch loop exiting for that light, as well as a 14-2 wire that continues the circuit branch.

The wife wants to have one of the recessed lights isolated, controlled by its own switch (this is above the sink). Do I run a third line from the original junction box? (so I'd have a total of four lines: the one coming from the power source, the one going to the switch, the existing one extending the branch, and the new one extending the branch to the recessed light) And since I'm keeping the connections in that box the same, would this new wire connect black to black, white to white, and ground to ground?

If this is correct and allowable by code, then my third question would be how exactly to wire the switch loop from the isolated recessed light. The switch will be located near the sink. I understand the basics of the switch loop, but would like to get clarification.

Thank you!

Old 08-02-06, 06:00 AM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Your proposal is fine.

Connect the new black wire and the new white wire to the incoming power. This way the wire will be always hot.

You can then tun the new cable to the sink light and run a switch loop, or run it to the switch and then from the switch to the light. A switch loop is probably easier, but some people have trouble understanding them.

To wire the switch loop, connect the incoming white wire to the white wire for the light. Connect the incoming black wire to the white wire of the switch loop. Color this white wire with black, blue or red marker to identify it as hot. Connect the black switch loop wire to the black light wire. At the switch connect the black and white wires to the switch (marking the white wire as hot with marker).

To wire through the switch, connect the incoming black wire to the switch. Connect the outgoing black wire to the switch. Connect the two white wires together with a wire nut. At the light connect the black and white wires to the light.

At all locations, regardless of how you wire, connect all ground wires together and to each switch, light, or metal box.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: