Grounding

Old 08-02-06, 12:31 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Grounding

I am replacing a wall switch for a combo ceiling fan/light, additionally, there is a second switch for a wall light in the same wall box.

There is no grounding wire in the wall box, but one is attached to the combo switch.

My questions is, does this switch need to be grounded. If so, what is the safest way to do this?

I live in a 6 unit town house built in 1989.

Thanks for your help,

Old 08-02-06, 12:40 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by khalidamer
There is no grounding wire in the wall box, but one is attached to the combo switch.
Where is the wire attached if there is not ground conductor in the box?

Can I assume metal boxes? If so, a 1989 install would have definitely mandated grounded boxes. In this case nothing needs to be done. The switch is grounded through the screws to the grounded box.

Old 08-02-06, 12:41 PM
V
box ground

If there is a bare or green wire as part of the cable entering the box, that's the ground. Being connected to the switch the box is also grounded (if metallic, that is) when the switch is fastened in.

Old 08-02-06, 01:01 PM
K
Grounding

Thank you for the "Speedy" response.

The Green ground wire is attached to the new switch. And the wall box is metallic.

Based on your responses, this switch will already be grounded at the metal wall box and there is no need to attach the ground wire.

Thank you,

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: