Electrical box stripped nut...

Old 08-02-06, 03:12 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Electrical box stripped nut...

ok. I'm far from technical when it comes to the electrical lingo. I'm attempting to put a ceiling fan up in my bedroom. I was hanging the mounting bracket, and I think I stripped the one of the nuts in the box that I was attempting to mount it to.

Is my only option to go out and get another box? Or is there a way to repair the "nut"? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Old 08-02-06, 03:44 PM
K
You can repair the hole with an epoxy such as J B Weld. If you haven't used it before, you mix two parts from two tubes to make a small amount of the epoxy. After you fill the hole with a small amount of epoxy, let it dry completely for about 24 hours. Then you can drill a small hole to start the screw.

I had this same problem with electrical outlets a year ago and got the answer on this site. It worked great!

Old 08-02-06, 04:03 PM
R
I would not attempt to repair a ceiling box. The weight of a ceiling fixture, especially a fan is quite a bit. I would not trust epoxy.

Old 08-02-06, 04:17 PM
T
So, are you saying I should get a new electrical box then, craft? I agree that I would be a little nervous using epoxy for this ceiling fan. It is pretty heavy. Could it be as simple as using a slightly smaller screw and connecting to a loose nut?

Thanks all for the input.

Old 08-02-06, 04:35 PM
N
You could drill it out and use a slightly (larger) bolt and screw,, dont go smaller

Old 08-02-06, 04:38 PM
N
I should have added,, you can use a 8/32,, or a 10/24 nut and bolt,,, available at any of the big houses

Old 08-03-06, 08:15 AM
I
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 45 Upvotes on 43 Posts
Is this a metal, plastic or fiberglass box you are mounting to?

If it's metal, go ahead and drill out the hole and buy a 10/24 screw and nut to fit.

If it's plastic or fiberglass, I would replace the box with a new one that is specifically rated for fan support. Fan rated boxes will specifically say so on the packaging, and it will often be stamped onto the box also.

Old 08-03-06, 12:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 194 Upvotes on 170 Posts
Please go out and get a box rated for fan support. You do not want to risk the fan falling.

Old 08-03-06, 02:10 PM
T
It is a metal box and it is pretty secure. I will attempt to drill a bigger hole, as I've found there is enough room to do it safely.

Thanks all for your help and your concern. I really appreciate it!!

Old 08-03-06, 02:32 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
You may not even need to drill it out. You can replace the screw that stripped just in case it's threads were also messed up with one of the same size and put a nut on the back side. I'd probably use a lock nut. (That's a nut with a nylon insert to keep it tight despite vibrations.)

Of course if it isn't a fan grade box might be a good time to upgrade. They are easy to install.

Old 08-04-06, 04:05 PM
T
Just wanted to update you'all and let you know that as of last night, the fan is securely spinning from my ceiling. I ended up drilling a slightly larger hole, and voila! The screw screwed in there securely and the fan is working like a champ. Thanks again to all that helped me.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: