Trouble with Switched Outlet

Old 08-02-06, 03:22 PM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Trouble with Switched Outlet

I have been replacing my outlets and switches throughout my house. Everything was working properly prior to the change; I just wanted to change everything from beige to white. I've had no problems until now. I replaced a single-pole switch which is connected to an electrical outlet. It has always operated both halves of the outlet. I also replaced the outlet. I'm no electrician, but I was careful to put the wires in the same place on the new switch and outlet. After installing the new items, the outlet works all the time; it is no longer controlled by the switch.

Can you think of anything I might have done incorrectly or what I might do to correct this? I did try a different new switch and a different new outlet which did not help.

Thank you.

Old 08-02-06, 03:56 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Take a close look at all the receptacles you removed. Look for one of them with the tab removed on the gold screw side. It could be that you had another receptacle that was half switched.
If none of the receptacles have the tabs removed tel all the wire connections in the receptacle and switch box. Maybe we can find the problem.

Old 08-05-06, 10:28 AM
K
I removed 3 outlets in the room in question. All 3 outlets I removed had the tab removed on the gold side, although I wasn't aware that any other outlet was switched besides the one I'm having trouble with. When I replaced these outlets, I did not break the tab in any outlet except the one which I know to be the switched outlet. Does this give you any ideas? Thanks for your help.

Old 08-05-06, 03:14 PM
J
Originally Posted by kseawel
I removed 3 outlets in the room in question. All 3 outlets I removed had the tab removed on the gold side, .... When I replaced these outlets, I did not break the tab......... Does this give you any ideas? Thanks for your help.
The question is: Does this give you any ideas? If it is not all clear to you after making the above statement then you should very carefully set your tools down so as to not hurt yourself and call someone to come over and help.

Old 08-05-06, 06:59 PM
J
Received 515 Upvotes on 420 Posts
Break the tabs.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: