electric motor wiring

Old 08-04-06, 07:03 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
electric motor wiring

I have a small lathe I need to wire a 1/2 hp electric motor to. I would like to know if anyone knows how to wire it to a forward and reverse switch and the power supppy
ray

Old 08-04-06, 08:58 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
Not all motors are intended to be reversible. What kind of motor? What connections do you have on the motor?

Old 08-05-06, 08:26 AM
P
If this is a single-phase "split-phase" induction motor, you will have to extend the two leads from the "Starting" winding, and the two leads from the "Running" winding, to a double-pole, double-throw reversing switch.

The problem can be complicated if the motor can be connected to either 120 or 240 volts.

Is there connection diagram on the motor.? This also may be a problem of "lead-indentification", i.e., indentifying the two "Start" leads and the two "Run" leads.

Good Luck, & Learn & Enjoy from the Experience!!!

Old 08-05-06, 09:42 AM
R
motor wiring

Originally Posted by ray2047
Not all motors are intended to be reversible. What kind of motor? What connections do you have on the motor?
This motor is reversible. I bought it at Habor Freight Tools. It's made by Chicago Electric. The instuctions are very vague. I called the technical dept and the guy could'nt even tell me how to wire it to the power supply. He had no idea how to wire to a switch. It's 1/2 hp 115/230V. I need to wire for 115V. single phase. 4 pole connections. pole #4 has a black and white wire on it from the motor. Pole #1 has a red and orange wire on it from the motor. pole 2 and 3 have nothing connected. The switch box on the lathe has 2 lines coming out, each contain a black, white and green wire. I'm assuming one line for forward and the other for reverse. The power cord line I will be using has a black, white and green wire.

Old 08-05-06, 09:51 AM
R
motor wiring

The motor is reversible. I bought it at Habor Freight Tools. It's made by Chicago Electric. I called the technical dept but the guy could'nt even tell me how to wire to the power supply.
It's 1/2 hp single phase 115/230V I need to wire for 115V.
4 pole conections. pole 4 has a black and white wire on it from the motor . pole 1 has a red and orange wire on it from the motor. pole 2 and 3 have nothing on them. The switch on the lathe has 2 lines coming from it. Each line has a black, white and green wire. I assume one line is for forward and one for reverse. The switch turns left, top, right. The power cord line I will be using has a black, white and green wire

Old 08-05-06, 10:02 AM
R
motor wiring

Originally Posted by PATTBAA
If this is a single-phase "split-phase" induction motor, you will have to extend the two leads from the "Starting" winding, and the two leads from the "Running" winding, to a double-pole, double-throw reversing switch.

The problem can be complicated if the motor can be connected to either 120 or 240 volts.

Is there connection diagram on the motor.? This also may be a problem of "lead-indentification", i.e., indentifying the two "Start" leads and the two "Run" leads.

Good Luck, & Learn & Enjoy from the Experience!!!
The motor is reversible. I bought it at Habor Freight Tools made by Chicago Electric. I called the technical dept but the guy could'nt even tell me how to wire it to the power supply. It's a 1/2hp single phase 115/230v I need to wire for 115v. 4 pole connections. pole 4 has a black and white wire on it from the motor. pole 1 has a red and orange wire on it from the motor. pole 2 and 3 have nothing on them. The switch on the lathe has 2 lines coming from it each has a black, white and green wire. I assume one line is for forward and the other for reverse. It turns left(reverse), top(off) and right(forward). The power cord line I will be using has a black, white and green wire.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: