Question on baseboard heating...

Old 08-04-06, 07:17 PM
Question on baseboard heating...

I am going to install 4 four foot baseboard heaters (1000 watts each/4.1 amps each) on a double pole 30 amp circuit with 10-2 wire. Two heaters will be on one Thermostat and then I will have one heater and a thermostat and then one more heater and a thermastat.

Question. Can I run a single circuit to a junction box and then branch off to the three individual thermostats? I know I am fine with the amps and wattage, just not sure about a junction box and spliting them.

Thanks for any help guys,
Banjo

Sponsored Links
Old 08-05-06, 08:44 AM
I suggest avoiding #10 conductors if possible.The size-difference between #10 and #12 is more than the size-difference between #12 and #14. That why #12 is often preferred to #14 when wiring outlet-boxes for fixtures and receptacles. But #10 requires larger outlet-boxes, and #10 terminations at connection-points , such as at the thermosats and the BBH's, can be difficult.

If the BBH's are rated a 220 volts, what is the total load in Watts and amps?

Old 08-05-06, 02:19 PM
Pattba....or anyone else....

I will have 3750 watts and 16 amps on the circuit. (Not 4000-my mistake) You say to avoid 10-2 because of the problems that size of wire causes.

How would this work?

1 20 amp 240 v circuit with 12-2 wire. I would remain in the "safe zone" (just barely) for watts and amps on the circuit breaker and wire gauge. I should be able to run all 4 baseboard heaters on that circuit...and still be safe, correct?

Would you recommend a different way to do it? I would like to try and leave a couple breaker slots open in my panel for future things (not anything specific but jut in case).

Thanks again for your help.
Banjo

Old 08-06-06, 09:11 AM
Originally Posted by banjo
I should be able to run all 4 baseboard heaters on that circuit...and still be safe, correct?
Yes. If the load is considered continuous, based on 3750W, you'd wind up at 19.5 amps.

Be sure to avoid placing the heaters below receptacle outlets, because the heat can cause damage to the cords plugged into the receptacles.