electric motor wiring problem

Old 08-06-06, 04:05 PM
electric motor wiring problem

I recently got a motor from Harbor Freight. It is a 1 HP motor and I can't figure out how to wire it up and neither can Harbor Freight. It has 8 wires coming out of the motor and the diagram looks similar to this: I want to wire it to 115 volts AC. (I don't know what INS means.) Thanks for your help. Bob R.
115 VAC
P1_____________LINE
BLUE___________INS
T1_________|
RED________
P2_________|____INS
ORANGE____|
BLACK_____
WHITE____|___LINE 2
YELLOW___|

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-06, 04:13 PM
nap
the ins means they are insulated.

Actually if you can find the motor on Harbor Freight's website and let us know which one it is, we can help.

Or at least give us the manuf. and model #.

Here is their website at the motor section. Help us help you.

harbor freight motors

Old 08-06-06, 06:08 PM
Electric Motor Wiring

Thanks NAP for the reply I am sorry I didnt give enough information,all of the wires are insulated I guess thats why I didnt think of that.the model number is 41376-ovga its the 6th one down on harbor freights page it is one HP made by Chicago Electric.thanks again BOB R.

Old 08-06-06, 06:29 PM
nap
actually I truly meant to continue with :ins means they are insulated as in insulated joint.

go to this page and scroll down until you reach "wiring diagram"

your motors manual

It explains very well what to hook your power to and what wires to join together. Also note that this is apparently a reversible motor and it gives direction for how to make it run in reverse by switching two wires.

Line (the hot from your switch) and P1 are to be connected (and the joint insulated)

the rest is just as easy. Blue and T1 are joined together (and the joint insulated)

red, P2, and orange are joined together (and the joint insulated)

and black, white, and yellow are tied together with the neutral of your power source ( and insulate the joint)

Old 08-06-06, 06:56 PM
nap,
Thanks for the help,I will try it tomorrow and let you know what happens BOB R.

Old 08-07-06, 07:02 PM
NAP
The motor runs ok i installed it on a squirrel cage fan off of a furnace it really moves the air in my shop. When I first hooked it up it ran for about 10 minutes then it kicked out the circuit breaker it seemed to be over heated I took the belt off and ran it for about 30 minutes with no load, then I put the belt back on and it ran fine for at least 2 hours then I shut it off with no problems it seem like it needed to be broken in if thats possible thanks for the help BOB R.

Old 08-07-06, 07:13 PM
nap
I was perusing the manual and I saw nothing as far as current draw. I would run it and take an amp reading (if you have an amp meter). It should be about what it states on the data tag.

The other thing I saw in the manual is:

It said something about the unit being shipped dry (as in without lube) and needed to be filled before use. Read the manual to be sure you have lubed it as required.

Old 08-08-06, 11:16 AM
A 1HP motor draws 14A. Personally, I'd put a smaller motor on the blower, unless it is a lager blower intended to have a 1HP motor, and at that set up the motor and supply for 240V.

Old 08-09-06, 01:02 PM
The motor is permanently lubricated and sealed for life,the tag on the motor supersedes the manual. The blower originaly had a 3/4 motor but I couldnt find one so I went with the 1 HP motor I also need the 5/8 shaft I may switch to 240 V though but it works fine for now. BOB R.