Main Panel Bonding Screw Question

Old 08-06-06, 06:12 PM
Main Panel Bonding Screw Question

I'm in the process of doing a service upgrade, just some basic info first.

Currently I have:

1: 150A main service panel with bonding screw in.
2: 100A sub panel with screw removed and a seperate ground wire and neutral.

I'm switching too:

1: 200A main service disconnect (circuit breaker style)
2: 200A main service panel
3: Keeping the 100A sub panel.

My question pretains to the bonding screw in the 200A panel. Even with a disconnect in front of the main panel is the main panel still bonded form neutral to ground? Or does the bonding now occur in the disconnect? Im slightly confused on this.

Thanks,

Gabe

Sponsored Links
Old 08-06-06, 06:38 PM
I'll let some of the experts say for sure...but I had a similar issue when I upgraded.

The bonding screw was removed from the main panel and I assume the bond is now made at the disconnect (breaker).

tjz

Old 08-06-06, 06:41 PM
nap
The bonding takes place in the first, and only the first, means of disconnecting. The ground and neutral are seperate systems from that point on. This is also where the GEC is tied in to.

The first breaker/disconnect is you service disconnect now. Everything past this point is now a sub panel to the main.

Just odd curiosity, why are you using a seperate 200 amp disconnect and then a 200 amp panel and does the panel have a main breaker?

Old 08-06-06, 06:46 PM
I have to use a disconnect, as required by my local jurasdiction. I have 14 feet of wire entering the house and they want it protected. This now enters me into the question, if the disconnect is now the only point that is bonded, then I cannot use my sub panel, because it would have to be connected to the disconnect and not the 200A panel?

Old 08-06-06, 06:55 PM
nap
Originally Posted by gabe24
I have to use a disconnect, as required by my local jurasdiction. I have 14 feet of wire entering the house and they want it protected. This now enters me into the question, if the disconnect is now the only point that is bonded, then I cannot use my sub panel, because it would have to be connected to the disconnect and not the 200A panel?
I apparently said something that threw you, sorry for that.

All I meant is that the disconnect is the "main" and everything else, isn't.
Bond everything (ground, neut, grounding electrode system) in the disconnect. Bond nothing in the 200 amp or the 100 amp panels. If you have adequate means to feed the 100 amp from the 200 amp disconnect, you can. If you do not, then it would have to feed from the 200 amp panel but you can do either.

It really makes no difference just that the 3 items are not bonded in any panel except the "main".

Old 08-07-06, 10:01 AM
"Bonding" connections can be located in ANY metallic surface that may be energized with 120 volts-to-Ground because of a contact between the metallic surface and a "live" conductor.Examples of such surfaces---- water and gas lines, air ducts, acessories and equiptments for swimming pools, spas, "hot" tubs--

Because of the extensive scope of Bonding requirements, there are many differents forms and types of Bonding conductors and Bonding connections, and many different types and forms of Bonding methods.

"Bonding" implies the inter-connection between all conductors and surfaces required to be at "Ground" potential, or Zero volts-to-Ground.

When the Service Dis-connect is in a "seperate" enclosure, "Bonded" firmly together in the enclosure are--- the Grounded Service Conductor (Neutral)-- The Grounding Electrode Conductor which connects the Neutral to the Grounding Electrode , often a metallic water-service pipe/tubing--the metallic surface of the enclosure-- the Equiptment Grounding Conductor which extends from the Service Dis-connect to the circuit-breaker panel which is connected to the "Load" side of the Service dis-connect.

Bonded together in the C-B panel are-- the metallic surface of the panel enclosure-- the Equiptment Grounding Conductor between the Service dis-connect enclosure and the C-B panel enclosure-- the Equiptment Grounding Conductors of the individual circuits that extend from the C-B panel to the interior wiring.

It is to be noted that the all Neutral Conductor terminations in the C-B panel are isolated from Ground