AC turns on by itself.

Old 08-06-06, 11:36 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
AC turns on by itself.

I have a General Electric Zoneline 2100 Air Con.

It has a thermostat [1-10 (warmer - cooler)] and a Operation (High Heat, Low Heat, Off, Fan, Low Cool, High Cool). One day, it just turned on all by itself with the Operation controller set to off. What may have caused this? Is this a typical AC failure?

Thanks.

Old 08-07-06, 08:34 PM
Is your model a PTAC ( hotel-type, 16" by 42")? Although this probably didn't come up in the recent heat wave!, these models may have an automatic freeze-protection circuit which overrides the control panel settings. They may also have optional settings for the cooling mode which override the control panel at a certain temp. Get out you operator's manual and read up on the features of your unit.

Old 08-09-06, 08:53 PM
T
I don't have the manual. It's not downloadable from the web. Talking to a GE phone technician who was reading from the manual on this appliance, it's malfunctioning.

I went to http://ptac4less.net/ and saw a description of zoneline 2100 which says it's a PTAC 16' x 42'. So, Yes, it is.

The past few days was not that hot and the problem recurs if I plug in the power switch. But this problem did seem to surface right after the heatwave which hit California a few weeks ago. And I live in CA.

Is it safe and practical of me to turn off the system by unplugging the power cord?

Given what you say is true, how does one typically resolve such a problem?

Thanks Much!

Old 08-10-06, 06:35 AM
Well, you really need a manual with wiring schematics and a technician who can trouleshoot this problem.

The old manuals are not avail. from GE online. You could try over at www.repairclinc.com They are very good . Someone over there probably has experience with your unit. You will need the complete model number, found behind the front cover. It will be in this form: AZ21E09B3DCBA

A = air conditioner
Z = Z chassis size (PTAC size 16 X 42)
21 = 2100 model series
E = electric heat strips ( H would indicate heat pump model)
09 = 9000 BTU

the rest of the numbers and letters refer to various voltage, options, etc.

You may very well find a wiring diagram inside the unit, either glued to the chassis somewhere, or in a little brown envelop. But you still need a qualified tech. to figure things out for you.

Last edited by 594tough; 08-10-06 at 08:04 AM.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: