220 Hook Up problem

Old 08-09-06, 02:15 PM
Question 220 Hook Up problem

I have an older home, and just remodeled my bathroom. My washer and dryer are in my bathroom, and i replaced my 200 outlet that has three prongs for my dryer. The wiring has a black, white and copper ground, and i don't know where to put the two neutral wires, (Black and Copper) into my new outlet. I took a guess and almost burnt my house down ! Do i even need to ground the outlet? I can not get anybody to help me out with this. Please Help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-06, 02:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Describe the cable a bit better. Is the ground braided around the other two in the cable? Or is it solid copper like NM cable?
This a very important.

Old 08-09-06, 02:32 PM
Well several comments.

Assuming you are in North America...

Since you are remodeling, you should replace the circuit for the dryer. Current code requires a four wire circuit.

Your present circuit does not have a neutral. And the ground is certainly not a neutral. You have a three wire setup. Two hot wires and a ground.

Old 08-09-06, 02:40 PM
IF, and only if this cable is SEU cable, it CAN be re-used. That its what I was getting at with the braided ground question.

Yes, it is better to replace the cable. But you legally do not have to if it is SEU.
If it is NM cable with a bare copper ground you MUST replace it as it was never legal and never safe.

Old 08-09-06, 02:44 PM
dryer wire

What is involved in replacing the circut? I live in a log home, and it is very dificult to re-wire things. Is a four wire circut require re-wireing all the way to the circut breaker?

Old 08-09-06, 03:33 PM
Yes it does.

Old 08-10-06, 12:19 AM
The wiring has a black, white and copper ground, and i don't know where to put the two neutral wires, (Black and Copper) into my new outlet. I took a guess and almost burnt my house down Do i even need to ground the outlet? I can not get anybody to help me out with this. Please Help
This is all wrong in the way you describe things. There are not "2 neutrals'. Black is a hot wire and the bare is your ground. This is not an SEU cable as it has an all white insulated wire. You need to get yourself a DIY book on residential electric and take a look see thru it. Several choices at the big box store. These all show and explain the 3 wire and 4 wire installation requirements. You need a dryer receptacle not a range/stove receptacle many people confuse the two.

The sparks flew because you did not research how your wires should connect to the dryer receptacle.....lesson learned.

If it is not feasible to run a new cable then you need to get your local electrical inspector to approve the continued use of the existing dryer cable. Log cabins/homes present a unique set of problems so the inspector may show mercy...

Be sure to get that book and understand the correct way to connect the wires to the dryer receptacle. Otherwise hire an electrician, dont try to burn the ole house down again.

Roger