Security System Dedicated Outlet-why???

Old 08-09-06, 04:47 PM
Question Security System Dedicated Outlet-why???

I just moved into a new home-the security sys has a dedicated "single" outlet where the transformer is plugged in and zip-tied to prevend unplugging-along with a dedicated breaker on the circuit breaker. Why is this and can I wire it with a dual outlet plug-I really need another outlet right in this location.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-09-06, 05:06 PM
They want to make sure that you do not trip the breaker, although I don't think this is the real reason.

My best guess is that the location of the receptacle would normally require a GFCI receptacle (such as an unfinished basement), but they chose instead to use a normal receptacle, and can only do so if the receptacle is a simplex one and it cannot easily be used for something else.

Old 08-09-06, 05:49 PM
Of course!!!

YES-of course! That makes 100% sense. It is in a basement location which would normally have to be gfci. SO my next question...Would it be tough to replace that simplex outlet with a dual GFCI? I've never wired a GFCI.

Old 08-09-06, 06:02 PM
It is not difficult to install a GFCI receptacle. However, if I were you I would instead extend the circuit to a new junction box and then install the GFCI receptacle at the new box.

Old 08-09-06, 07:25 PM
Talking Sounds good

I will do just that! Thanks!