Surge Protection device - Do it myself?

Old 08-10-06, 08:16 PM
Surge Protection device - Do it myself?

I want to install Surge Protection device in my home

The local utility company installs 3 of these - one near electric meter, one for Telephone line and one for cable TV. Installation is 25$ and charges 9$ per month. They install TESCO Surge Protection device. They also offer Insurance if it fails (5000$ per equipment and 50,000 $ total)

Is this something that I can buy online (Tesco) and do it myself instead of spending 9$ every month?

Thanks for your suggestions

Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-06, 09:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The phone line you could do, as well as the cable. The electric protection goes on your side of the meter, where the power is always hot. If you pull the meter to disconnect the power you could be in deep trouble with the electric co.

$25 installation and $ 108 per year is pretty cheap insurance if you have frequent lightning storms in your area.
If you extend it out 20 years you will have spent less than $ 2200. Price a couple of items like refrigerator and tv or AC compressor and make your decision.

I don't see this as a DYI project but one to be handled by a licensed electrician if you don't want the utility to do it.

Old 08-11-06, 03:14 AM
Its questionable how much good these devices do. Basically you are buying an insurance policy. The ones I have seen are little pucks that connect to the mains. How do you know the last lightning storm didnt take them out. I would check with my insurance company and see it they couldnt offer me a better deal.

Old 08-11-06, 04:25 AM
A better way, or at least an equivalent way, to provide whole house surge protection is with a surge protector that connects to your main panel like a 240 volt breaker. I would look for and install one of these before shelling out money monthly to the utility company.

Regardless of what you do, I would still use good quality point of use surge protectors at all computers, at all televisions, and at anything else you want to protect.

Old 08-11-06, 05:32 AM
Who are the Reputed Manufacturers of Point of use Surge Protectors ? There are so many at Walmart, Costco etc

Thanks

Old 08-11-06, 05:45 AM
Originally Posted by sethramesh
Who are the Reputed Manufacturers of Point of use Surge Protectors ? There are so many at Walmart, Costco etc

Thanks
The cheap ones that you buy at most stores are junk.

Belkin, APC and Tripp-Lite are several names that come to mind.

Old 08-11-06, 06:21 AM
I agree with racraft regarding MOV surge protectors. In addition if you are serious and don't mind paying a premium, check out "series mode" surge protectors. I haven't found any negative or "not worth it" information about the series mode stuff.

Here's some propaganda from a mfgr.:

http://www.zerosurge.com/HTML/versusres.html