Central Vac electric motor sparking...

Old 08-12-06, 11:48 AM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Central Vac electric motor sparking...

My daughter sucked up some ribbon with our central vac system. This ribbon ended up completely shutting off the vents to the motor. The motor apparently over-heated and tripped the breaker (breaker in the house panel, not on the unit).

I removed the ribbon, but when I re-start the motor, sparks fly and the breaker soon re-trips.

I removed the motor, but need to know what to look for to see what the problem is. There doesn't appear to be any melted wires. Other causes?

All help appreciated.

Old 08-12-06, 12:30 PM
B
The motor is a large coil and if strained by not rotating the coils will heat up and then conduct electrial sparks.

Take the motor and a volt meter and measure the resistance or continuity. If you don't get any continuity than the motor is bad. This sould be easy to do becasue most motors only have two or three wires.

Old 08-12-06, 03:09 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Big Skippy
The motor is a large coil and if strained by not rotating the coils will heat up and then conduct electrial sparks.

Take the motor and a volt meter and measure the resistance or continuity. If you don't get any continuity than the motor is bad. This sould be easy to do becasue most motors only have two or three wires.
Also check the leads to the motor frame, this reading should have no continuity. If it does the motor is gone.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: