need help - 2 electrical outlets suddenly don't work

Old 08-12-06, 10:00 PM
need help - 2 electrical outlets suddenly don't work

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this...
I have a house from 1942. I've lived it it 2 years and have had no problems with the electrical in this one room. Recenly however, the light in the ceiling went out and an outlet on the wall in the same room won't work.
I checked the breaker to see if that was the problem, but that was not the problem.

The electrical outlet on the wall, isn't connected to the light switch, so I'm not exactly sure how both things failed at the same time or how I should go about fixing it.

I would love to see if I can do this without calling an electrician, but I'm not the handiest person in the world.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thank you!
Corinne

Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-06, 10:07 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by corinnelyse
Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone can help me with this...
I have a house from 1942. I've lived it it 2 years and have had no problems with the electrical in this one room. Recenly however, the light in the ceiling went out and an outlet on the wall in the same room won't work.
I checked the breaker to see if that was the problem, but that was not the problem.

The electrical outlet on the wall, isn't connected to the light switch, so I'm not exactly sure how both things failed at the same time or how I should go about fixing it.

I would love to see if I can do this without calling an electrician, but I'm not the handiest person in the world.

Does anyone have any suggestions??

Thank you!
Corinne

First off. identify the crkt for these devices, then shut it OFF.
Now when your sure you have the correct ckt OFF, Start by dropping the light fixture in question. This erra home, the power was typicaly fed to the fixtures first. Be very carefull as to not disconnect wires without first noting where they are terminated.Remake the connections useing the propper wire nuts/connectors etc. That should do it.
That would be my guess that there is a bad connection in that light.

Old 08-13-06, 05:22 AM
My experience with this vintage wire is that it has over time the insulation has become old and brittle. It could be cloth covered romex, cloth bx, or knob and tube.

It is very likely that once you open the box and move the wires around a bit they will no longer be safe to use. If it is knob and tube the bad splice could be burried in the wall somewhere.

You should investige, but this may be more than the average DIY should be doing himself.

Old 08-13-06, 05:57 AM
A wire has become disconnected somewhere. It could be at the light, it could be at the receptacle, or it could be at the location (most likely a receptacle) feeding these locations.

If you use a plug in type tester on the receptacle it might help you determine if the loose wire is a neutral or a hot.

To find the problem, you have to look at the connections at all the locations on the circuit. Start with the light and the non-working receptacle. and if necessary branch out to the other locations on the same circuit.

Somewhere a connection has opened. You need to find it and remake it.

Old 08-13-06, 01:11 PM
Breaker

Did you reset the braker by turning it to the "off" position and then to the "on" position? Some breakers appear to not be tripped when in fact they are.