outlet not working

Old 08-13-06, 11:41 AM
outlet not working

Last night we noticed that the outside outlet that our pond pump is plugged into wasn't working. I checked the panel and nothing was tripped. I replaced the outlet with a new one this morning and still no power.
What is going on? Why is it not tripping the panel and yet every other outlet in the house is working?

Thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-06, 11:57 AM
Outside outlets are required to be protected by a GFCI outlet or breaker. In alot of installations they used a GFI in the bathroom, or kitchen or whereever and feed the outside outlet from the load side of this GFI.

This could even be a GFI breaker. You will know a GFI breaker from another because it will have a push to test button.

I suggest that you test then reset every GFI outlet and breaker in your house then come back and tell us what you have found.

Old 08-13-06, 01:31 PM
thanks jwhite,
I went through and checked the GFCI outlets in the house again, I didn't check one that was in the upstairs bathroom on the other side of the house from the outlet in question and this had been tripped. This was the last place I would have expected that outside outlet connected to.
Thanks again!! you saved me the cost of getting an electrician and not to mention the embrassament of having them tell me what the fix was.

Old 08-13-06, 01:37 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
For the record... A good electrician would point you in the right direction over the phone...... But true you always have the possability of an answering service dispatching.

Old 08-13-06, 05:34 PM
mr_evans2u.

I'll say it again, because obviously you haven't heard it (or you foolishly ignored it).

You should have known that the bathroom and the outside receptacle were on the same circuit.

You should know what is on each and every circuit, and what breaker controls each and every receptacle, light and appliance in your house. Shame on you for not knowing.

You should have, within a short time of moving in, completely and thoroughly mapped your electrical system. This information should be posted right at your main panel. Not only will it help you in cases like this, but it cold save your life some day.

Now do the right thing, and take a few hours and completely map out your house.

Old 08-13-06, 07:35 PM
If you have a breaker box then some electrical upgrades have been made to this house. If all the wiring has been redone then you need to check every device on the circuit until you find the one with the loose connection.
Pay particular attention to any device that have the wires poked into the holes in the back instead of on the screws.

Old 08-13-06, 08:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by racraft
mr_evans2u.

I'll say it again, because obviously you haven't heard it (or you foolishly ignored it).

You should have known that the bathroom and the outside receptacle were on the same circuit.

You should know what is on each and every circuit, and what breaker controls each and every receptacle, light and appliance in your house. Shame on you for not knowing.

You should have, within a short time of moving in, completely and thoroughly mapped your electrical system. This information should be posted right at your main panel. Not only will it help you in cases like this, but it cold save your life some day.

Now do the right thing, and take a few hours and completely map out your house.

UNDERSTOOD.........BUT (the infamous "BUT") Do you realy think or expect any one moving into a new home to think of this!?
I ,we and you do.BUT the vast majority DON'T. They just think this stuff comes with the house. Untill a problem arises. Then what.

So anyone reading this PRO- Or NOT... Take notice. You could save yourselfs some money!!!! SAD BUT TRUE... Thats what it's is all about!!!!!!!!! On both ends.