GFCI Installation Help

Old 08-15-06, 07:09 AM
Unhappy GFCI Installation Help

I'm trying to install a GFCI in one of my bathrooms. The issue is the installation instructions indicate that the GFCI is to be used with a maximum of 4 wires (excluding grounds) and I've got 6 wires (excluding grounds) coming into the work box. Plus, the GGCI only accommodates two hots and two whites so I don't know what to do with the two extra wires coming into the box.

Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-06, 07:37 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
What you need to do is to join the existing wires and a short length of and cap with a twist-on wire cap. The free end of the short wire will connect to the receptacle. This process is commonly called pigtailing.

Old 08-15-06, 08:21 AM
make sense. I will try it. Thanks.

Old 08-15-06, 06:41 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Determine, also if some of this wiring is "downstream" wiring, and needs GFCI protection. If so, they should be connected to the "load" terminals of the receptacle, so you may have enough connecting points, since the GFCI really can accomodate two "line" hots and two "load" hots. Same with neutrals, for a total of 8.

Old 08-15-06, 09:18 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Chandler made a very good point here, What wires go were? Some may not need protection.
This is very important. If the wrong wires go into a presumed right spot....... You have defeated the entire reason behind the GFCI receptical. AND YOU COULD BE IN GRAVE DANGER!!!!
(excuse the dramatics) Honestley, It is very important that these are installed correctley, or they are USELESS!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-16-06 at 06:34 AM. Reason: removed quote as it's unnecessary to quote the entire post that's directly above yours