Pool wiring from deck?

Old 08-15-06, 08:56 AM
Question Pool wiring from deck?

I am in the final stages of completing my pool deck that has several levels from the house and encircles the pool about 2/3rds. I understand that the code states that the feed to the pool should be dedicated 20 amp GFI etc. but I was wondering if there is anything disallowing me to use the structure of the deck as an acceptable means to get from the panel to the poolside disconnect. I am at an impase because I just got done digging 25 sonotube holes at 42 inches almost entirely by hand (too much rock). Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-15-06, 09:02 AM
The inspector will probably allow you to run the wire in conduit on the underside of the deck. You might want to ask first just to be sure.

Make sure that you run individual conductors inside the conduit, with an insulated ground wire. All distances still need to be complied with, as does the requirement for a convenience receptacle.

Old 08-15-06, 11:05 AM
thanks

Thanks for the quick reply. I do plan on contacting the inspector but needed to know if this method was far fetched.

Old 08-15-06, 03:16 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I use decks to my advantge all the time. They are the ultimate digging saver. No reason at all to dig under or along a deck IMO.

One thing. Your statement "the feed to the pool should be dedicated 20 amp GFI etc.", is a bit concerning.
Are you aware of all the codes involved with wiring a pool?
It's a bit more than simply a 20a GFI circuit.

Have you seen this page? It will help:
http://www.selfhelpandmore.com/homewiringusa/2002/accessory/poolabove/index.htm