How Easy Is It To Install a 220 Outlet ?

Old 08-16-06, 03:23 AM
Question How Easy Is It To Install a 220 Outlet ?

Is this something I can do myself ?
I have wired recepticles, ceiling fans etc...., but never anything major, I want to save a lot of money by doing it myself but of course I gotta KNOW what I am doing.

Anybody have any diagrams etc.....?

I need an outlet for a kitchen stove and a dryer.

Thank You

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-06, 04:17 AM
If you are planning on installing a receptacle for an electric stove or dryer, then you will NOT be installing a 240 volt receptacle. Stoves and dryers need 120/240 volt receptacles. Straight 240 will not cut it.

I am sure there are drawing and diagrams on the Internet somewhere. They also exist in books on home wiring. You should have one of these books as reference. I suggest you buy one. I recommend "Wiring Simplified", available at home improvement stores.

There is nothing tricky about 120/240. You need four wires. Two hots, a neutral and a ground.

For a dryer, 10-3 with ground is used (if NM is allowed) . The black and red carry the hot from the 30 amp 240 volt breaker. The white carries the neutral and the ground is the ground. The receptacle has four terminals for the four wires.

The stove will be either 40 or 50 amp (usually), needing 8-3 with ground or 6-3 with ground and will have a four connector receptacle. Installing the larger wire now will prevent re-running wire later on if things change.

Last edited by racraft; 08-17-06 at 04:48 AM.
Old 08-16-06, 05:28 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
If you have insatlled (correctly) 120V recepticals and switch cables before,this is no big task. The mechanics of install are the same, The cables are different..
You must however, as Racraft eluded to, know your new demand IE: dryer, gas or electric? total watts/Kilowatts of the oven. Is the oven 2-seperate devices IE: cook top and oven or one peice. These questions answerd will determine your wire and breaker sizes. Don't just ASSume, thats when you will be in trouble.

Old 08-17-06, 04:44 AM
Wink

Thanks Guys, I will by the book and study up.
These forums save a man a hell of a lot of money, again THANKS !

Old 08-17-06, 03:22 PM
Easy, techincally it is pretty simple instaling it, once you figure what you need to install. The work is installing the usually heavier cable.

Old 08-17-06, 03:47 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by Catzilla
Thanks Guys, I will by the book and study up.
These forums save a man a hell of a lot of money, again THANKS !
Equaly it may cost us some $. But the good guys (people) understand, Your going to do it yourself anyway, So the least you can do, is do it right.