did i burn a wire out?

Old 08-16-06, 08:19 AM
did i burn a wire out?

I have connected many lights, outlets and a ceiling fan successfully. This time I was trying to reconnect wires from a ceiling fan with a light fixture which wasn't responding to a dimmer switch. I heard the circuit blow and knew I connected the wires wrong. Fortunately, I wanted a new fan anyway and bought a new one. I wired the fixture exactly as the previous working fan was wired to the ceiling wires This time I did not open the compartment where the many light wires are. the fan and light don't work. It is wired to work from the wall switch only. My question is, is it possible that the wall switch needs to be replaced or the actual wire that runs along the wall. Also, how can I tell if the wire to the circuit breaker needs to be replaced? Everything in the room still works so I don't think the circuit breaker suffered damage.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-06, 08:45 AM
Never assume receptacles and lights in a room are on the same circuit, or even that all receptacles in a room are on the same circuit. It may not be the case, and assumption like this could kill you. For example in newer houses dining room lights are not allowed to be on the same circuit as the receptacles.

It is doubtful that you damaged any wires in the wall. The circuit breaker should trip before any wires get damaged.

Dimmer switches should not be used with fans. Fans need special speed controls. A regular dimmer switch may damage the fan motor.

Dimmer switches are easily susceptible to damage from too much current. If you ran enough current to trip the breaker, you likely burned out the dimmer. Install and use a regular switch for the fan and you should be okay.

Another less likely scenario is that your short circuit caused a weak wire connection to open. If the replacing the switch does not work we can explore this path.

Old 08-16-06, 09:15 AM
thanks. I was hoping that was the most likely scenario. I wil try that tomorrow before I go to work.

Old 08-16-06, 10:38 AM
Smile job well done

I had a new wall switch in the basement and hooked it up. It worked! you saved me alot of money and a whole lot of embarassment if I had called in an electrician for something I could do in 5 minutes. Thanks alot!