Installing a range top stove only - 220v - 4 prong plug

Old 08-16-06, 08:56 AM
Exclamation Installing a range top stove only - 220v - 4 prong plug

Hi, I am looking for any assistance on installing a 4 prong 220v plug . I have done lots of the 110v electrical but when it comes done to 220v I have yet to tackle this. Here is what I have in terms of setup where I want to locate this plug. I currently have dryer in this room that runs on 220v, I was thinking that I could run a line from there done to where I want to go approx 8-9 feet away from this current plug. I want to setup this plug there and keep the dryer where it stands now. I realize that running both units at the same time would be a problem. Our intenetion is not to do that at all but use one at a time and the chances of uses both at the same time are slim to none. I am not totally sure if this would be the way to go or would I need to buy a new panel for house and start installing new breakers and what not. The current panel is full. Or the other thought that I had was to make an extension cord, where we would unplug the dryer when not in use and plug the stove top range in the rest of the time via an extension cord idea. Bare in mind the extension cord would only be at most 7 feet long. This unit is only a stove top 4 burner range no oven and runs on 220v.
Any suggestions on this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-16-06, 09:37 AM
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by kjpick
Here is what I have in terms of setup where I want to locate this plug. I currently have dryer in this room that runs on 220v, I was thinking that I could run a line from there done to where I want to go approx 8-9 feet away from this current plug. I want to setup this plug there and keep the dryer where it stands now. I realize that running both units at the same time would be a problem. Our intenetion is not to do that at all but use one at a time and the chances of uses both at the same time are slim to none.
No. You can not do this. Even if you say the units will not run at the same time, there is no provision that will prevent this.

I am not totally sure if this would be the way to go or would I need to buy a new panel for house and start installing new breakers and what not. The current panel is full.
If the panel is full you need to have and electrician check it out
and determine if you need a larger service.

Or the other thought that I had was to make an extension cord, where we would unplug the dryer when not in use and plug the stove top range in the rest of the time via an extension cord idea. Bare in mind the extension cord would only be at most 7 feet long. This unit is only a stove top 4 burner range no oven and runs on 220v.
Absolutely not. This is a code violation. You may not use an extension cord on a permanently installed appliance.
You need to get someone experienced to do this work for you.
Don't burn the house down.

Old 08-16-06, 10:03 AM
There is even a bigger reason this is not a solution. Typically stoves require either a 40 or a 50 amp circuit., Now a simple cook top may only require 30 amps, but you do not want to install for this. You want to install assuming that someone will eventually want a larger stove. A dryer is only a 30 amp circuit, and if yours is older it may only be three wire.

Run a new circuit from the panel. If necessary have your panel replaced or a sub panel added. An electrician can help you decide if your panel is indeed full (it may not be).

Old 08-16-06, 10:40 AM
My advice doesnt differ from Wareagle or Racrafts however I do like to ask if this is your property or rental property. If this is your home.... if you can give us an idea how this new stove receptacle is in relation to your main circuit breaker panel or possibly a sub panel we may be able to suggest how to run a 240 circuit. Things like if it is all finished walls to get to this location, where it is in relation to an attic with access, crawl space home, unfinished basement, 2 story ,.. that sort of thing. An electrician is a good idea and necessary in certain cases but I'm a firm believer that a person has the right to work on his own home, you just need to be a more careful and knowledgable when dealing with electrical and know your limitations. This is really a simple deal as for the wiring of the stove top, it's getting from the panel to the receptacle location with the new wiring that is most of the work. There are a few ways to create more space in the panel that may help getting a double pole breaker in the panel to protect the stove wiring.
If all this sounds feasible then tell us what your breaker panel make is, the model number of the panel and what the amperage is of the main breaker so we can get an idea of your service size. Also what is the nameplate wattage or amperage on the stove? You could always get the cable ran and then have an electrician come in and set the receptacle and do the work at the panel then hook it all up. He isnt going to be very upset if he doesnt have to climb around in the attic or a crawl space trying to drill holes and run cable. If you have the right wiring ran and done correctly he is going to be all smiles.

Roger

Old 08-16-06, 06:39 PM
Originally Posted by wareagle
No. You can not do this. Even if you say the units will not run at the same time, there is no provision that will prevent this.

If the panel is full you need to have and electrician check it out
and determine if you need a larger service.

Absolutely not. This is a code violation. You may not use an extension cord on a permanently installed appliance.
You need to get someone experienced to do this work for you.
Don't burn the house down.

Thanks for the advice that is what I needed to know.