Light fixture hook up

Old 08-18-06, 01:08 PM
Light fixture hook up

I recently purchased a 2 family home. It has a an exterior entrance light controled by a switch in the hall. The hall has 1 light fixture that is controled by a switch in the second floor apt. This makes it very awkward when entering the house at night having to fumble in low light trying to open the 1st apt door.

I would like to install a light fixture that can be turned on when you walk in the hall. Can I hook up a new fixture the the switch that controls the outside entrance light and have it work both lights? How would I go about doing this. Do I run a line from the box with the fixture or from the box with the switch? I will also be replacing the current switch with a light motion sensor. Will this type of swith be able to work both lights?

TIA

Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-06, 01:15 PM
You can definiteley do it by hooking into the existing light fixture.
You might be able to do it by hooking into the switch. It depends on how this is currnetly wired. You will need to open the switch and see how it is wired. If there is is only one cable with both black and white wires hooked to the switch you can't do it from here. If there are two cable with two black wires hooked to the switch you can do it from the switch.

Old 08-18-06, 01:17 PM
You can always run a second light from the first light. Sometimes you can run a second light from the switch, but not always.

A motion sensor switch can handle both lights.

Be very careful. If this is a rental unit then you may not be able to legally do this work (even if you own the place). Even if you are allowed to do the work, think carefully before doing it. Your questions suggest you are a novice at electrical work. Electricity can kill. It can also cause fires. Do you want to risk liability if there are (or will be) tenants involved?