Electrician - Demo Help PLEASE !!!!

Old 08-19-06, 10:17 AM
Question Electrician - Demo Help PLEASE !!!!

I have removed a half wall in my kitchen in prep for installing a tile floor. An electrical conduit feeding two outlets was in the wall. I have removed one arm of the conduit and the outlet box. The remaining outlet box has been removed but I am unable to remove the hot wires because the conduit is installed into the concrete slab ( perpendicular).

What are my options for abandoning this line without cutting up my floor or walls to find the junction box?

After a lot of research - I have found the electrical panel has only one line feeding into a junction box somewhere in our wall or concrete slab - feeding both these outlets and our foyer lighting.

Can I cut the conduit pipe to the floor and encase the remaining wire within the conduit / within the slab?

Of course I do not want to leave a live wire in the floor that would cause any danger. What are my options?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-06, 10:25 AM
nap
You have to find where the conduit feeds from. It is not advisable, safe, or acceptable by code to do what you are considering doing.

Once you do this and remove the wires, cutting the conduit at the floor would be acceptable.

Old 08-19-06, 10:35 AM
AS nap said, you need to find the other end of those wires. If they go all the way back to the panel, so be it. Once you find the other end you can remove wires that are not needed. If you need to put a junction box somewhere, it must be permanently accessible. Permanently accessible means that the cover of the box must be able to be reached. It can be behind furniture, but it cannot be hidden behind drywall.

Once you remove the wires, you can do anything you want with the conduit.

Old 08-20-06, 09:18 AM
Question Nap and Racraft - Demo Help please!

thank you both for your reply. Are you indicating I should be able to find the other end of this wire connection in a junction box that is currently accessible? That would make life much simpler. Please verify and I will begin the search.

I am in Chicago - if you have any knowledge of our strict electrical codes, please advise. Thanks.

Old 08-20-06, 09:25 AM
nap
Yes, if the installation was done using legal methods, there is a junction box that is accessible somewhere.

I would look into any device box that is involved with this particular circuit.

The other receps on the circuit, the light SWITCH box, and if neccessary, the light boxes themselves. If there are any other circuits leaving the panel in the same conduit, those and the associated device boxes would also become part of the search.

Old 08-20-06, 05:28 PM
Group Moderator
If you can safely energize the line a "no contact" voltage detector might let you trace the direction of the wire and conduit through the slab. A metal detector such as included with some electronic stud finders might also work. Plan B: With power off careful not to damage the conduit chisel away enough concrete to get an idea of direction of the conduit.. Assuming a straight run the junction box should be on that imaginary line.

Edit: Rebar in the concrete would probably make using a metal detector iffy at best.

Old 08-20-06, 06:21 PM
I'm not the sharpest pencil in the box, but the only reason I can think of off hand to have a conduit in the concrete is an island in the kitchen. You got an island?

Old 08-25-06, 12:26 PM
Red face Electrician - Demo Help Please

I do not have an island...I should probably give it up and install an outlet in the floor utilizing the existing service. This townhouse is built on a slab.

You are sharp - why would there be an electrical line anchored in the slab? That's the root of this whole discussion.

At any rate, I have an electrician coming in Monday to answer my questions. Thanks everyone! Katie

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-25-06 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Removed quote as it's unnecessary
Old 08-25-06, 12:49 PM
The wires were run in the floor because this was a half wall. The wires have to get to the half wall somehow.

Find the other end of the wires. It's not that hard. Check every junction box on the circuit. Disconnectt he wires and be done with it.