Question concerning distance between meter and panel.

Old 08-19-06, 10:38 AM
Question concerning distance between meter and panel.

Assuming the latest revision of the NEC prevails...

If the basement is bordered by 12' of crawlspace, can the service panel be placed in the basement? In other words, the meter and the service panel would be 15' apart with one 90, and the conduit would be run through the crawlspace.

Last edited by JoeTheZombie; 08-19-06 at 10:51 AM.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-19-06, 10:54 AM
nap
JTZ: when you posted :

Assuming the latest revision of the NEC prevails...

I take that as you have found something in the code as to an actual measurement based upon that statemnet and your following question. If so, would you be so kind to post the section that gives an actual measurement. The last I have ever seen was that the service disconnect is to be,if inside, "nearest the point of the point of entrance of the service conductors"

You can eliminate this probelm by placing a disconnect outside at the meter. The wiring to the inside now becomes a feeder rather than service entrance conductors.

Other than that, the local AHJ and/or poco tends to control the exact acceptable points of service disconnect placement. (in my experience)

Old 08-19-06, 10:55 AM
Sure, but you may need a service disconnect outside in the way of a meter service combo, or a service rated disconnect next to the meter.

The code doesn't call out a number in reference to how far unprotected service entrance cables can be run inside a structure.
That is the call for the local inspectors. You would need to contact them, and let them tell you how far is the max.

Old 08-19-06, 11:05 AM
I don't have a copy of the code, but I do know my city has adopted the "latest revision of the NEC". I was just trying to be as informative as possible.

So what you are telling me is that this wouldn't be something to comply with the NEC, but rather what ever the inspector finds acceptable?

Old 08-19-06, 11:33 AM
First and foremost, unless you place your panel on the first floor of your house or outside, it must be in the basement. More to the point, it cannot be in the crawl space.

Yes, it could be outside, but that's not a place for a main panel for a residence. Imagine tripping a circuit breaker and having to go outside in your pajamas to reset the breaker. It could b on the first floor, but that means putting up with it or hiding it in some (legal) way.

So we have decided that your main panel, or what you think of as your main panel will be in the basement.

The only issue then is whether this panel in the basement, that you think of as your main panel, is really the main panel or if it a sub panel.

The issue then, is whether the inspector will allow it. I suspect that he or she will, since the cable is not likely to get damaged in a crawl space. However, it is his or her call.

Old 08-19-06, 12:14 PM
nap
I concur with racraft. The inspector will be the ultimate decider of placement but your situation will probably be acceptable.

I would suggest the service entrance conductors be placed in conduit though rather than an open cable.(if you were even considering SE cable) This minimum of protection would ease my mind if it were my home.

One of the many horror stories I have heard had to do with a situation similar to yours. The SE cable got tagged with a nail somewhere along the line and endup up burning the house down. The conductors are protected at the pole transformer but that is a large enough fusing to allow alot of current to flow before they blow. A wire can become a resistive heater and not pop a fuse in a lot of cases.

Bob, what I was suggesting is simply a main outside with the panel inside becoming a sub. I would never suggest that the entire panel be placed outside for a resi. I agree with the pajamas.............although I do have a cute neighbor.......well, that's another story.

If a main is tripping, the pajamas are not going to bother me a bit. That tends to indicate a major malfunction in a resi.

Old 08-19-06, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
Yes, it could be outside, but that's not a place for a main panel for a residence. Imagine tripping a circuit breaker and having to go outside in your pajamas to reset the breaker.
Where I live, due to the elevation above sea level, there are few basements, and the main panels are almost all outside.

Old 08-20-06, 11:04 AM
I perceive an installation where the Service Entrance Conductors extend 15 ft inside the structure to reach the Service Dis-connecting Means to be a "gamble" as regards the interpertation of a Code Article by the local authority who enforces the Code.

Locating the Service Dis-connect directly under the meter enclosure will resolve the dilema.Please know that the "Service end" of the Grounding Electrode Conductor will have to terminate in the Service Dis-connect enclosure.

Good Luck, & Learn & Enjoy from the Experience!!!

Old 08-20-06, 04:09 PM
Originally Posted by jwhite
Where I live, due to the elevation above sea level, there are few basements, and the main panels are almost all outside.
I certainly understand the idea of no basements. Still, I would want my panel INSIDE my house, rather than outside.

Old 08-20-06, 04:15 PM
I would too. Mostly for security reasons. Anyone could sneak up outside and kill the main breaker. But that is not how it is.