Wiring 2 GFI on 12/3 wire

Old 08-20-06, 07:02 AM
Wiring 2 GFI on 12/3 wire

I am wiring a garage with 2 circuits. I am using 12/3 with ground and 2-20 amp breakers. I wired it original with out the GFI and the 2 circuits worked fine. Now that I am trying to put the GFI’s in I cannot get both to work. The first GFI is wired this way, Black wire is to the line side from the breaker. From the load side the Black wire is going to the other outlets. The White from panel box is to the line side. The other White wire is coming out the line side going to the second GFI. The second GFI is wire this way, Red wire is to the line side from the breaker. From the load side the Red wire is going to the other outlets. The White wire from GFI #1 is to the line side and the other White wire is going to all of the other outlets both Red and Black outlets.

I checked all the wiring with a tester to make sure that I wired them correctly.

When I pug a fan into the Red wired outlets they work, but when I plug into the Black wired outlets, I trip both GFI’s. I can reset both of them and both reset.

I believe it has to do with the White wire. Any suggestions on how to fix?

Thank you in advance.
Mark

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-06, 07:18 AM
No can do. You cannot use a multi wire circuit on the load side of two GFCIs.

GFCIs work by watching for and reacting to an imbalance of current between the neutral and the hot wire. In a multi wire circuit this will always be the case on at least one of the GFCI when any current flows through either hot wire.

You have three choices:

Use a GFCI receptacle at each location and connect only to the LINE side of each, using the red wire on some and the black wire on the others (use the white wire on ALL of them).

Use a 240 volt GFCI breaker at the main panel.

Rewire using 12-2 after the first two GFCIs.

Note that if you keep the current 12-3 wiring in place, you MUST use pigtails for the neutral connections at the receptacles. You are not allowed to connect the neutral wires directly to the receptacles.

Old 08-20-06, 07:29 AM
Originally Posted by racraft

Note that if you keep the current 12-3 wiring in place, you MUST use pigtails for the neutral connections at the receptacles. You are not allowed to connect the neutral wires directly to the receptacles.
If I understand you, I can keep my wiring (12/3) the same but put a pigtail on each outlet it should work.

Old 08-20-06, 07:32 AM
NO!

You must use one of the three choices I outlined.

The comment about the pigtail was in case you go with a GFCI breaker or a GFCI receptacle at each location, or for the initial connection to first GFCI if you rewire beyond that using 12-2.

Old 08-20-06, 07:34 AM
Thank you for your help.