Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

total novice adding outlets and lights to unfinished basement.

Old 08-20-06, 07:46 AM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I am adding approx 6 recepticles and 2 fluorescent light fixtures to unfinished basement. One outlet already exists and is at the end of the circuit, marked "G.F.I.". there is 1 incandescent light fixture operated by a switch. where do i start and what safety issues should i be concerned with? I live in Minnesota, USA.

Last edited by Justin_I; 08-20-06 at 05:14 PM.
Old 08-20-06, 08:58 AM
M
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Added general-purpose receptacles to an unfinished basement will need to be GFCI protected.

But, sounds like you'll also need a new circuit pulled from the panel. It's probably time to call an electrician.

Old 08-20-06, 10:37 AM
J
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
How about posting a better picture of what is existing. The term outlet in electrician lingo means 'something that uses electricity'. Recepticles, lights, and hard wired appliances are all examples of outlets.

So my question is: Do you have one recepticle and one light existing in the basement, or just one light and you called it out outlet, which would be the proper term.

The place to start is to desgn the system. Ask youself what you may want to use this room for in the future after you install the electrical. You need to decide if you want one circuit for all the recs, or if you want more than one. I suggest that you put the lights on a seperate circuit from the outlets. This is a personal preference. That way if the lights loose power I can plug in a lamp to see to fix them. If the recs loose power, I can still see to fix them with the lights.

Post back with some more of the details as I have discribed above. Someone will help will more detail on how to run the circuits after you tell us what to help with.

Old 08-20-06, 05:12 PM
J
reply to jwhite

There is one recepticle in the wall and one light fixture in the center of the ceiling. This room is going to be used for my wife's scrapbooking get togethers. There won't be alot of things running at once. The breaker for the lone recepticle,in the basement, is marked "G.F.I.". It runs from the breaker to our main level and then back down to the only recepticle in the basement.

Old 08-20-06, 05:17 PM
R
You need to understand what else is on this circuit breaker. You should already know this. Depending on what else is on this circuit, you may not be allowed to add new receptacles or it may not be advisable to do so.

Before you do anything, go out and buy one or two good books on home wiring. The books will tell you how to run wire, how to make connections, etc. They will also answer all the questions you haven't asked yet.

Old 08-21-06, 03:32 AM
N
It is not allow if the insurance company found out or the city. Of course you may add anything you want on your property if nobody knows. be carefull to add a load that is not too great but 2/ 60 watts lights no bigy just make sure that if you add wires that if follows the same color code that was there before if red put red if white put white. Then label the outlet AS LIGHT LOAD,

Old 08-21-06, 05:05 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by neon
It is not allow if the insurance company found out or the city. Of course you may add anything you want on your property if nobody knows. be carefull to add a load that is not too great but 2/ 60 watts lights no bigy just make sure that if you add wires that if follows the same color code that was there before if red put red if white put white. Then label the outlet AS LIGHT LOAD,
First off, who says it is not allowed? In most parts of thecountry anyone can work on their OWN live-on property. As long as they follow local rules and codes.

Second, explain the rest of your post. I'm lost.
"..if red put red if white put white." What does this mean???
And why label the receptacle "light load"?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: