Circuit Breaker Question

Old 08-20-06, 10:22 AM
Circuit Breaker Question

Hi-
I am running a 12-3 NM from service panel to garage. This will power lighting on one leg, and electric radiant heat panels on the other leg. Am I correct in installing a common handle tie breaker to prevent overloading of the shared neutral and to ensure that there is a 240 volt potential between the circuits? All appliances and fixtures are 120v.
Thanks in advance!
Ray.
"I may not be an electrician, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night".

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-06, 11:22 AM
You do not need a common handle tie breaker, but you can use one. The important thing is that the two cirucits are on differen phases in the main panel. Placing two single pole breakers one below the other will also do this.

A common handle tie is needed if the two circuits server seperate outlets that are physically mounted in the same box, on one yoke or strap.

If you do it your way and the heater trips the breaker you will loose your lights. If you use single pole you will not have this problem. Also in a multiwire circuit you cannot rely on a device like a rec to carry the neurtal (one white wire on each of two screws) If you are just doing lights and heaters this is not a problem. (unless the heaters plug in.)

Old 08-20-06, 02:43 PM
Still a little confused.

My radiant heat panels are of the plug in kind, however they are on a dedicated leg of the 12-3. The receptacles I will be using are simplex recessed type (clock) receptacles. These recepacles will be behind the radiant heat panels and will be labeled as for radiant heat use only, as they will be controlled by a 120v thermostat. Still OK to use your idea on thr CB's as long as they are on different poles is the service panel?
Thanks!
Ray

Old 08-20-06, 02:47 PM
Clarification.

The other leg of the 12-3 will be used for lighting.

Old 08-20-06, 03:09 PM
Sure it is ok.

In addition it is a good idea to identify the hot neutral and ground in a perminant manner at the panel as a multiwire branch circuit. The requirement to identify MWBC at the panel looks like it is going to pass in the 2008 code, and it will then be required.

A bit of masking tape and a sharpie pen will due. Make up flags that say something like MWBC Garage. and put them where each of the wires terminates in the main panel.

Old 08-20-06, 06:37 PM
Thanks.

Thanks JWhite. I will do that. Thanks 4 your time!
Ray.