Wiring outdoor security light

Old 08-20-06, 09:30 AM
Ron H
Visiting Guest
Smile Wiring outdoor security light

I have basic problem wiring outdoor security light.
Added separate switch in garage to control. Power to switch is coming from wire connected to outlet next to switch.
Have power going to switch and tester indicates power going on and off when I turn switch on and off.
However the light won't work. I also tested by hooking up outlet instead of the light and nothing worked from the outlet.
I have black wire going to switch on top and black wire going out bottom. Ground wires are fastened. White wire coming from security light is connected directly to the white wire from my hot line. Tried different switch and still no light.
I feel problem is with the white wire connection.
Appreciate any info you can give me.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-06, 09:44 AM
nap
First question would be; did the recep work before any of this work started?

Is there a switch that controls anything in the garage from the house?

How have you been testing for power?

Old 08-20-06, 10:14 AM
What nap said, and how did you make the connections at the existhing rec.

Old 08-20-06, 01:25 PM
Ron H
Visiting Guest
Smile Wiring outdoor security light

Security light did work quite a few years ago. Then it didn't work any more and I didn't do anything to replace it for several years. I then bought a new security light fixture. When the new light didn't work, I figured it was the wiring to the fixture, so I just replaced the wiring. Light still didn't work, and hooking up a test outlet to the wire also didn't produce any positive results.
No switch in house for the power in the garage except for garage light switch. Garage light is a two way switch with another switch by the garage door. At the garage door there is the other two way switch for the garage light, another switch for another outdoor light there, electrical outlet, and the switch for the security light. All of the other switches and the outlet work ok. I have tested security light with these switches on and off but still no light.
I am using a Circuit Alert Voltage Probe 50-600 volts for testing if there is current flowing.

Old 08-20-06, 04:12 PM
How did you make your connections at the receptacle you are tapping for power, and did you verify power to the switch?

Old 08-20-06, 04:24 PM
Ron, thanks for the informative post just above. I know that these things are frustrating. Please try to stay calm and answer the questions that we are posting so we can try to help you further.

Old 08-20-06, 04:49 PM
nap
One problem I see is you are using a non-contact type tester. They are notorious for giving false positives if you are not aware of where and why you will get a false positve.

They can generally give you a voltage presence, but there can be induced voltages that the tester will pick up on and will read the same as "real" power.

Any device that you can hook up directly to the wiring via INSULTED alligator clips or insulted probes or such will work or a solenoid type voltage tester is better.
-------------------------
This may sound like a strange question but how many conductors go from the house to the garage? and are any of them used as grounds?

How many breakers are used to send power to the garage?

So many questions to ask.........................

don't forget those already asked by others as well.
Just hang in there. We'll get you powered up eventually.

Old 08-20-06, 06:28 PM
Ron H
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up Wiring Outdoor Security Light

I have seen the light!
I did go back and check the power to the switch. In checking the power, I found that the white wire was not connected to the outlet. When I connected the white wire, and turned the power back on, I HAD LIGHT.
Thanks to all of you for you assistance and patience.