Splicing Refrigerator Cord?

Old 08-20-06, 12:28 PM
Splicing Refrigerator Cord?

I bought a used refrigerator from a guy who says he is a certified appliance repairman. Presumably, he fixes them and sells them out of his house. It works fine, but I noticed that the cord has been spliced and wrapped with electrical tape. I'm trying to reach him to see if he did this or if it was like that. I'm wondering if this is safe if done properly. The cord is warm (not hot) at the point of the splice after it's been running.

Is there some type of connector sold that would give me a safer splice? Replacing the whole cord is probably over my head, as it goes into a wiring harness with lots of other wires. It appears to be in real good shape between the splice and the harness, and the new cord spliced on looks fine too--I'm just worried about the connection somebody made.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-06, 12:38 PM
My common sense tells me that if it is getting warm you are loosing efficiency due to resistance in the connection, I would get a new cord and make the splice closer to the wire hardness and after the strain relief using either solder or crimp connectors. But I'm no pro so I'll let them tell you what to do. I would definely at least open the tape and see what they did I don't trust other people's splices.

Last edited by DIYaddict; 08-20-06 at 04:37 PM. Reason: removed quote as it's unnecessary to quote the entire post that's directly above yours
Old 08-20-06, 12:44 PM
I would replace the cord .. or get him to do it for you .

maybe you buy the cord and he puts it on no charge .

Old 08-20-06, 01:43 PM
It is not acceptable to splice a cord with or without the proper crimps or the quality of the tape. The entire cord needs to be replaced and properly terminated inside the appliance.

The terminations inside the appliance may be solder connections and should be done by a qualified person.

Old 08-20-06, 02:27 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Hi, I'm a bridge salesman/person. I have one that is right up your wheelhouse..... For 2 days only......you can have it for an unbe........
A certified repairman would not due this... #1- they would have the proper stuff in the truck.. and used for personal purposes would find someway to account for it being gone.
#2- They probably would have done it correctly and either changed the whole cord or put a new cord cap on it.
If the unit is worth keeping, Fix it.

Depending on how much cord will be lost.. I would go with a ne cord cap. this is legal and correct.

Old 08-21-06, 03:48 PM
Unfortunately, the splice is just about 12" outside of the strain relief, so I can't just put a new plug on it.

I got ahold of this idiot today and he said it was like that when he got it, and that it would be fine. I tried to explain to him that code states that it can't be spliced and that the splice is warm, indicating resistance. I told him I like to be very cautious about electrical stuff as I'm wary of electrical fires. He says, "No, it will be fine--it won't start any fires". Certified, schmertified. I guess I won't be paying him to replace it. Oh well, it's a nice GE fridge in good shape and it cools real well and I only paid $100 for it. Now I'm gonna pay an appliance repairman a little more to get it right.

Old 08-22-06, 08:14 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Sometimes... you get what you pay for.
Good luck!