Sprinkler pump wiring

Old 08-21-06, 11:38 PM
Sprinkler pump wiring

Hi I am trying to connect a 220 volt pump for a sprinkler system. I have a National Controls relay model SNC-R2025-507 that I want to use. The sprinkler controller has a 24 VAC transformer that will work for the control input of the relay, but I don't know how to connnect the pump wiring to the 2 output connectors on the relay. The relay has 2 connectors for input and 2 for output (one labelled line and the other labelled load). I know that the two 24VAC output leads from the sprinkler transformer connect to the 2 input connections on the relay, but I don't know how to wire the 220VAC from the breaker panel, to the relay, then to the pump. This site has a picture of the relay and the specs: http://www.emsco-usa.com/ncc/ssr.htm
Can anyone please help me with this?
Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-06, 03:09 AM
One or two disconnect switches might be needed depending on the physical locations of equipment.

Panel........disconnect............rely...........disconnect.......motor
Panel........disconnect............................disconnect.......motor

Where the relay is installed lable the box. fed from more than one source and specify the two pole power breaker and the breaker for the pump controller.

The 24 volt from the pump controller should not be constant. The pump contoller should switch this voltage.

Old 08-22-06, 06:15 AM
The 240 volt from the panel goes to the two connections labled LINE.
The pump leads get connected to the two terminals labeled LOAD.

Old 08-22-06, 12:22 PM
He only has two terminals labled inupt and two terminals labled output. The two output are labled line and load.

Old 08-22-06, 10:13 PM
That's correct jwhite. You mentioned disconnect switches in your first reply. What are disconnect switches?

I guess I am confused because there is only one LINE connection and one LOAD connection on the output side of the relay. I know that 220 uses 2 hot wires, so do I need to connect one hot wire directly to the pump from the breaker, and the other hot wire from the breaker to the LINE connection on the relay output, then connect a wire from the LOAD connection on the relay output to the pump? Then connect the grounds.
Thanks

Old 08-22-06, 10:46 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
That's correct jwhite. You mentioned disconnect switches in your first reply. What are disconnect switches?

No disrespect intended.

This is the part where you call someone in, have it wired, then bill the customer.

Old 08-23-06, 03:26 AM
That is what I drawed Andy....
Also , If you cannot see the panel from the box where the relay is, you will need a disconnect switch in the circuit before this box. Also if you cannnot see the panel, or the first diconnect switch from the pump motor, you will need one there also.

Also what is the size of the pump. We need to find out if it needs a starter, or if just this relay will work.

Old 08-23-06, 07:21 AM
The pump is a 1.5 hp 6.5 amp (20 amp start) 3450 RPM

Thanks again

Old 08-23-06, 08:16 AM
If this motor does not have overload protection built in, you will have to provide overload protection in your wiring. To find out the answer you will have to consult the motor literature, or the mfg or retailer where you bought the motor. The spces should also tell you what type of overload protection is required, if any.

Old 08-23-06, 09:02 AM
The link below has extensive information on irrigation pumps, including relays and wiring:

http://www.irrigationtutorials.com/pump.htm