switch to outlet

Old 08-22-06, 04:03 PM
switch to outlet

Hi Panel,
I have a gas fireplace in my finished basement. Beside my fireplace is a bookcase with the switch to light the fireplace. I would like to put an outlet underneath the switch, the switch is approximately 4' off the floor and I would put the outlet at normal height off the floor. If the switch has a black and white (hot and neutral) wire can I pigtail that and run a cable from the switch down to a new outlet? Thanks for your help.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-06, 04:10 PM
Just because the switch might have a black and a white wire does not mean it has a neutral. If there are only two wires (other than a ground) in the box and they both connect to the switch then there is no neutral. If there are two black wires connected to the switch and two white wires connected together and a ground wire, then you probably can extend the circuit to a receptacle.

Old 08-22-06, 06:53 PM
Thanks Bob for the reply. I Understand- I think. Should be a black wire (hot) coming in connected to the switch and black from the switch going to the ignitor. Hopefully then there will be a neutral coming back to the box. If so I can drop a black and white from the box down to a receptacle. Thanks for the quick reply Bob-one of the reasons I really enjoy this site and forum.