Need a correct rating for timer

Old 08-23-06, 11:28 AM
Exclamation Need a correct rating for timer

I m looking to replace a fan switch with a timer in my wife's business, I've figured out that there is a switch between the source and the commercial-rated exhaust fan. I cannot find a label of the fan to get some readings. But I found a 20-amp breaker on the pannel, which only controls this fan.
Here are my questions:
1. What would be the correct rating for timer?
2. Need to turn on/off a few times a day, 6 days a week. Any recommendation?
3. Is it worth trying myself since it may involve the business liabilities?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-06, 11:54 AM
DIY electrical work is legal when someone is working on his/her own home, and rents no part of that home to tennants.

Doing work in a commercial building is not a DIY job.

Old 08-23-06, 04:46 PM
Talking

If this is an exhaust fan over kitchen cooking equipment I am not sure that installing a timer is legal. In this type of installation, the Ansul system is tied to the exhaust fan and the makeup fan. In the event of a fire that trips the Ansul system, the exhaust fan would remain on or turn on and the makeup fan would be shut down.

If you must install a timer, then call the experts to make sure that this is done correctly, if allowed at all.

Good Luck!

"Left the hurricanes for the earthquakes"

Old 08-24-06, 11:37 AM
Thanks all. But need to clarify a little more
The exhaust fan here is for our ventilation system, which dumps inside artificial nails odor directly to the outside. In the heat day, we close all the front and back doors for the AC. As a result, the odor needs to be dumped outside by the exhaust fan. The timer needed here is to turn on/off the fan at every 2 hours for about 30 minutes.

Note: as the AC turned on, it won't suck all the odor outside, but rather it keeps that ordor circulating around. In the average cooling day, we don't really need AC and both front and back doors are opened, and of course we have no problem with the odor at all.

Any suggestion?

Old 08-24-06, 01:13 PM
Originally Posted by kenneth_nguyen
Any suggestion?
Your are welcome, but I need to clarify more.

Doing electricial work in a commercial building is illegal by an unlicenced person.

Doing electrical work in a commercial building is in many ways completely different than the way it would be done in a residential building.

It is ok to give DIY advice to someone who is working on his/her own home, because in most places, it is legal for them to do the work.

It is not Ok to give DIY advice to someone who is doing work in a commercial building.

Bottom line, is you need to hire an electrician.

Old 08-24-06, 01:14 PM
Let me just add that this is a tax write off for you or the landlord, whoever is paying the electrician.