NEC sections to focus on?

Old 08-23-06, 11:35 AM
NEC sections to focus on?

I'm going to be rewiring my entire house in a few months & was wondering if anyone could tell me what sections of the NEC I should focus on that would pertain to this job. 709 pages is a lot to read or even skim especially if it's not related. Just wondering what sections I should really get to know. Oh, the copy I have is the 2005 NEC.

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-06, 11:48 AM
Group Moderator
Unfortunately, only your local building inspector can answer this question, because they get to decide what's important.

Old 08-23-06, 11:57 AM
Chapters one through three contain most of what you want to know. The rest only apply in those situations that they cover.

Reading the code may not be your best approach. Try finding a book on residential wiring. Some of the users on this site have ones they like and will be willing to help you find them.

Old 08-23-06, 12:08 PM
Well, I want the whole thing to code, not just the things inspector is going to focus on. There are no local codes so NEC governs all of it. I do have a book I grabbed at Home Depot & have read through it, was just wanting to get more intimate with the NEC too before I tackled this. I'll check out those chapters.

Thanks,
Dan

Old 08-23-06, 12:22 PM
Dan, If you can understand the code, without going to school to study it, then my hat goes off to you. Good luck.

Old 08-23-06, 12:25 PM
My dad was a lineman with the local power company so I picked up a lot about electricity during my youth. It does take some concentration, looking up definitions & re-reading things a few times, until it hits you. I'm not to worried about my electrical install, my plumbing is what has be baffled....

Old 08-23-06, 12:44 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The books Wiring Simplified and Black and Decker's Home Wiring are commonly recommended for typical DIY projects. Rex Cauldwell's book Wiring a House is recommended for bigger projects, like (surprise!) wiring a house. Each of them is availiable in paperback for about $10, so they're good resources to have for the price.

The NEC itself is so hard to digest, that reading through the books is probably a lot more helpful.

Old 08-23-06, 12:54 PM
Utility lineman, and construction electrician are two totaly different things. the only thing the two have in common is that electricity is involved.

My dad retired from the airlines. I would never tell someone that that makes me qualified to fly a plane.

Old 08-23-06, 04:11 PM
One of my very good friends is a well-qualified, experienced "substation electrician" for Nevada Power, our local utility.

We work together on volunteer projects. He has to be given specific assignments with specific instructions (just like one of the apprentices) because he just doesn't have the experience when it comes to wiring structures.

Well, actually, he's much more experienced in it now, but you get the point.