electrical wiring

Old 08-25-06, 01:27 PM
Lightbulb electrical wiring

I am trying to add recess lingts in one of the bedrooms. I opend an exsisting gang box with two switches on for the ceiling fan and the other for receptacles. I am trying to add two more switch so I can have two pairs of recess lights controled by two separate switches. I attached a link for my schemtic showing how I am going to connect the switches with the fixtures. Can someone check and see it makes any sense.
Thanks

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/b/2020450659032100671

Sponsored Links
Old 08-25-06, 01:36 PM
The first switch appears to switch two items(red wires). Other than that it looks ok.

Old 08-25-06, 01:54 PM
Lightbulb

Currently the fan outlet is not being used. The first two switches were already there when I opened the gang box. I did not see how it was connected and this is my best guess. In future I will add a fan to the ceiling. It will not have any lighting attached to it. In that case do you think the schemtic looks OK.

Thanks

Old 08-25-06, 02:04 PM
I do not understand your drawing.

You show the switched red wire going to the receptacle and to the fan. Why?

Why don't you try your drawing again, but leave out the grounds and the neutrals.

Also, please tell us what the existing wiring is that is present in the box.

Old 08-25-06, 03:00 PM
Lightbulb

We never used both #1 &2 switches so we do not know whether it was connected correctly. When I opened the gang box I had two pigtails one black and one red. Since you raised a question I re did my schematic and attached it. Please take a look and let me know what you think.

http://allyoucanupload.webshots.com/v/2000136061059560617

Old 08-25-06, 03:15 PM
I edited your second post so that it has the correct link in it. the link you provided is not for the general public, and some people would not know what to do when they get there.

Always test any link you provide in a post, email message, or whatever.

This drawing is better.

You should have paid attention to how the box was originally wired. Do you know how the receptacle is wired, and how the fan is wired? We cannot tell you if your drawing is correct for those two devices unless we know the wiring at those locations. It probably is, but there is no guarantee of that.

Clearly your drawing shows the proper way to use four switches, the only thing that is up in the air is the red and black wires from the receptacle and to the fan.

One more comment. Do not try to use two duplex switches and keep a two gang box. With tis many wires, you will almost surely exceed box fill requirements, not to mention have a difficult time getting that many wires into a box.

A better scenario would be to run three conductor wire (plus ground) to the first recessed light set, and from there branch to the second. Even this would be pushing it for a two gang box.