Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Electrical, AC & DC. Electronic Equipment and Computers > Electrical - AC & DC
Reload this Page >

Silly Electrical problem... that i can't solve (Light Switches)

Old 08-26-06, 12:16 PM

please help... anyone... okay, yesterday i was changing out some switches in my bathroom. after completing the job, i turned the fuses back on. then, when i went to the two closets nearby, both lights were not working. so i took the bulbs out of each closet and they both had blown. so i replaced both bulbs, but i'm unable to get them to turn on!!!! no light whatsoever. does anyone have any advice before i spend the money to call an electrician.

thanks... i'm not very handy but i really am trying...

Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-06, 12:34 PM
Will the closet lights work if the bathroom light switches are all turned on?

Also are you sure you have good bulbs now.

This would not be the first co winki dink .. I have seen.

Old 08-26-06, 01:03 PM
Did you wire the NEW witches in an identical manner to the switches they replaced? Are we talking about simple on/off witches?

Old 08-26-06, 02:03 PM
hehe... that made me laugh. yes, when the bathroom lights are on, the closet lights still don't light up. i have also tried multiple fresh bulbs, but i am completely at a loss. what is curious to me is that both closet lightbulbs blew. also, the switches that i replaced for the bathroom were simple on/off switches, nothing fancy... any other trouble shooting ideas???

Old 08-26-06, 02:25 PM
Don't laugh.. Most of what I know is from experience. LOL...

It sounds like you need to take the light switch in the bath back apart and look where the grounds and neutrals are wirenutted up inside the box. Take those connections apart one at a time and remake them. Something could have come loose.

Also do not rule out the coincidence theroy. I learned this one from experience too.

Old 08-26-06, 02:26 PM
Are the bulbs in fact "blown" or are you assuming this ?
Is the bathroom and the closet on the same circuit ?

Please describe exactly how many switches you replaced - (and how many wires, colors ect.) .
Were they part of a fan/light/heater , or at large bathroom that had a two way switch ?

The only thing I can think of that would "blow a bulb" would be somehow putting 220 to it. It's possible the original circuit was a 3 wire home run - one phase for the bathroom, one for the closet lights.

Do you have access to a meter ?

Old 08-26-06, 07:54 PM
Do the bathroom lights work?
Are there any GFCI on this circuit. If this is an older home the GFCI could be in the garage.

Old 08-26-06, 08:37 PM
Group Moderator
Long shot but I saw something like this when a previous installer instead of pigtailing the hots used both the screws and push connectors. The person installing new switches didn't realize the wires coming off the screws needed to be matched with the wires coming off the back connectors. They just randomly connected the wires to the switches. I had to track down what each wire went to and properly pigtail them.