Light fixture wiring...

Old 08-26-06, 04:32 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Light fixture wiring...

I was on here a few weeks ago messing around with ceiling fans. I've gotten sidetracked since that project and still have a room without lights. As suggested, I opted not to hang a ceiling fan in this room, rather to just hang a light fixture. Now, I can't remember how it was connected when I took out the old ceiling fan that was up there. So, I am not exactly sure how to hang up this light fixture. I have attached a picture.

Now, I've tried wiring a couple of different ways with mixed results. The light fixture has one black and one white wire. In every scenario, I've connected the white wire to the 3 white wires from the box. I've connected the one black wire from the fixture to the one black wire from one side of the box and got nothing. I connected the black wire from the fixture to the other two black wires and got power to the fixture. But, I was unable to use the light switch. Any suggestions on how to connect this?

Copy and paste the following link to see the picture: http://static.flickr.com/61/206936418_d0183e35f0.jpg?v=0

Last edited by travismcd; 08-26-06 at 05:09 PM. Reason: Fixed image for easier copy and paste
Sponsored Links
Old 08-26-06, 05:40 PM
J
I seem to remember suggesting that you find out which of those cables is the switch loop. and that you check to be sure that your switch has only one black and one white wire in the switch box both connected to the switch.

Lets pick up where we left off. Check it out and post back what you find.

BTW nice pic. we can use it for reference.

Old 08-26-06, 06:32 PM
T
Hey- Yes, thanks again for your help. Ok, it appears that there is just one black and one white in the switch box.

Old 08-26-06, 06:35 PM
J
Ok so do you have a continuity tester. We need to know which two wires those are in the light box.

Old 08-26-06, 08:04 PM
T
I highly doubt I have one of those. It doesn't sound like something I'd have. Am I going to have to have one to do this safely?

Old 08-26-06, 08:14 PM
J
it just checks to see if the circuit is open or closed. an ohm meter will do the trick. or if you have a voltage meter it will work.

tie all the blacks together, and leave the white wires all seperate. turn the breaker on for a bit. test to see which white wire is hot when the switch is turned on. Turn the breaker back off and then re lable this wire with a bit of black tape, or a black marker.

The wire you found will go to the black on the light. The rest of the white wires go with the white on the light. all grounds go together...

Old 08-27-06, 01:32 PM
T
Ok, so I won't be using any of the blacks from the ceiling then?

Old 08-27-06, 02:47 PM
J
only the white that you re identify as black.

Old 08-27-06, 03:02 PM
T
cool. I'll get to work. Thanks!

Old 08-27-06, 03:58 PM
T
Alright. So, I got it hooked up the way that I thought would be correct. I ended up connecting the one white one that comes out alone from the ceiling to the black wire from the fixture. Then, the other two white ones are connected to the white wire from the fixture. One problem. The switch is reversed. i.e. when the switch is "on", the light is off, and vica versa. Any ideas on remedying this? And before anybody asks, yes, I am an idiot. ;-)

Old 08-27-06, 04:04 PM
J
does it say NO and FFO on that switch? Just have a look and let us know.

Old 08-27-06, 04:45 PM
T
got it going. Thanks!! The switch was on the right way. But, I did have it wired wrong, originally. It's working correctly now. Thanks again! 3 weeks for a 2 hour project. Not too shabby. ;-)