HELP! Removing Rotor from Generator

Old 08-27-06, 09:51 AM
Question HELP! Removing Rotor from Generator

I'm looking for some help on how to remove the alternator rotor from a 10 hp Briggs engine off a Craftsman generator. Is it threaded or splined? If it's threaded, is it reverse thread or standard? The center bolt has been removed from the crankshaft, but the rotor will not budge. I have not a clue and don't want to butcher the job. Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-06, 10:22 AM
You are a very ambitious DIY/'er to tackle a job like an alternator overhaul on something like this. Unless we have a small engine tech listening in on the forum, I suggest you try contact Craftsman for a repair manual. Actuall, they might refer you to Briggs and Stratton for engine issues.

Old 08-27-06, 05:14 PM
how are you trying to budge it? A pic might be nice. A gear puller perhaps?

Old 08-27-06, 06:13 PM
Quite a few small generators are made with a tapered crankshaft on the engine and a female taper on the rotor. Generally, a special tool is required to remove the rotor, If you can brace the opposite end of the crank against something it is SOMETIMES possible to pop the roter loose by using a grade 8 bolt that can be seated to the bottom of the threads on the rotor end of the crank and long enough that it doesn't touch the rotor. A good smack or 2 on the bolt head with a heavy will often pop the rotor loose.

Obviously there is a potential for damage and if you can't brace the engine properly don't try this. If you have the skills to be doing engine work you probably can accomplish this OK - if not take it to a shop. Whatever they charge would be worth the charge compared to the damage you can do.

UNK

Old 08-27-06, 06:22 PM
Arrow

bob22, I have tried reinstalling the center bolt, backing it out a turn, and giving it a few whacks per a friends suggestion. I have also tried a puller with no luck. Please use the below link to see a photo. Thanks for the reply.

http://feedramp.smugmug.com/photos/91128837-M.jpg

Last edited by feedramp; 08-27-06 at 06:34 PM.
Old 08-27-06, 06:32 PM
Arrow

itsunclebill, Thanks for the reply. What do you mean by "brace the opposite end of the crank against something". Do you suggest I put the flywheel side against a wall or something? The opposite end still has the flywheel attached along with fan and cup if that helps. Thanks again for the reply.

Picture Link:
http://feedramp.smugmug.com/photos/91128837-M.jpg

Old 08-27-06, 07:27 PM
May not be useful, but you never know:
http://www.georator.com/PDF/manuals/Vertical%20Permanent%20Magnet%20MG%20Set%20General%20Manual.pdf#search=%22remove%20rotor%20from%20generator%22
Also:If you can get a part number and enter it in sears.com site you can look up a parts diagram that might give a clue to how to take apart.

Old 08-27-06, 07:37 PM
Here's another with a picture and a C-clip.:
http://www.smith-root.com/support/tech_docs/08240.02_Stator_Bearing_Instructions.pdf#search=%22remove%20rotor%20from%20generator%22
Best of luck.

Old 08-29-06, 04:44 PM
Talking Believe or Not!

Thanks for all the replies; I finally called B&S. The support person told me to hit the laminated (metal) section or the rotor with a dead blow hammer a few times on each side until the rotor pops off. IT WORKED with no damage at all to the rotor. Thanks again