Warm GFCI Breaker

Old 08-27-06, 12:24 PM
Warm GFCI Breaker

In our electrical panel we have 2 GFCI breakers next to each other. One is for the master bedroom the other is for 2 guest bedrooms. Each of these breakers is warm to the touch. We have had no electrical problems in either room and it has never tripped. I just thought it was strange that these breakers would be warm while the others are not. Is it normal for a GFCI breaker to be warmer than a regular breaker?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-06, 12:50 PM
How warm is warm? I have yet to find a good way to describe this in writing. Sometimes even a regular breaker can be a bit warm while the others are not without a problem. Sometimes one breaker will make the next feel warm.

A slightly warm breaker is nothing to worry about. A bit warmer and you could have a loose connection, or high amp draw on that circuit. Even warmer and you could have a serious problem.

In any of the above cases, the breaker is designed to trip if its internal thermal part becomes too hot. I would not loose any sleep over this. If you are concerned you can just look inside the panel and see if you have any obvious signs of discoloration. (is that a word?) You can also turn the breaker off, and carefully check to see if the screw where the wire ties in is tight.

Old 08-27-06, 01:04 PM
Thanks for the reply. I guess there really isnt a good way to describe the temperature of the breaker. I wouldnt call it slightly warm, but its not hot to the touch. Its just strange because there really isnt anything in these rooms drawing a lot of amps.

Old 08-27-06, 01:28 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Are these GFCI's or AFCI's, since they go to the bedrooms?

Old 08-27-06, 02:42 PM
I just double checked. They are AFCI's. Sorry for the confusion. It shows you how much I know about electrical stuff.

Old 08-27-06, 07:32 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just wanted clarification so you could be safe. As Jwhite stated, it is quite ordinary for some breakers to warm up slightly, so you should be ok with them.