Dimming low voltage under cabinet lighting

Old 08-28-06, 03:49 PM
Question Dimming low voltage under cabinet lighting

I am building a new home. My wife wants to be able to dim the low voltage under cabinet lighting. Should the dimmer be before the transformer or after? Thanks for any help!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-28-06, 04:51 PM
Are they fluorescent?

Old 08-28-06, 08:14 PM
dimming low voltage

define under cabiney lighting...as wel as low voltage.. (specs would be great but i understand and i wold rather not assume)
several of the most popular styles are xenon or halogen and the cheaper less reliab;e are the flourescent. Now westek (not sure if i can say that on the forums someone please edit if so) makes a xenon low profile task light for u/c purposes with a two position switch. high and low. (xenon also burns cooler than halogen) If you hace your lights already picked out then the answer to your question is yes you can dim low voltage u/c lights. All you need to do this is to make sure you have a electronic low voltage dimmer feeding the load from the wall switch. (basicly you electrician will install a regular SP switch and you will replace this SP switch wth and Electronic Low Voltage dimmer. Make sure the power is off when you do this Also make sure your dmmer is of a higher wattage than the entire amount of bulbs you are dimming...

Old 08-28-06, 08:18 PM
in short...

before the transformer..sorry for the lengthy reply the upplier of the LV lights should have info...also make sure you can get to the transformer as that is a code requirement. I don't reccomend the attic as i have had to replace transformers for burning up in the summers (of course it gets hot in the south) Best of luck to ya....

Old 08-29-06, 10:14 AM
Question

The bulbs are Xenon. The system is made by Ambiance. SOOO what you are saying is that the dimmer will come after the transformer, (between the transformer and the bulbs) Yes?

Old 08-29-06, 12:49 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The dimmer should go before the transformer (120v power coming in -> dimmer -> transformer -> bulbs). When you buy the dimmer, be sure it supports inductive loads (not just resistive like a light). Most modern dimmers do support inductive loads, but it pays to make sure. If it isn't rated for inductive (transformer-based) loads, at a miniumum it'll buzz, and possibly worse.

Also, be sure that the transformer you have can be dimmed. (someone else might be able to say that all low voltage lighting transformers can be dimmed, but I'm not sure about that). If it's a traditional transformer it'll be fine, but now with the advent of electronic regulators and such, some transformers can't handle being dimmed, and the lights will not dim evenly.

Hope this helps a bit.

-Mike

Old 08-29-06, 08:39 PM
ambiance..

line (120 volt) ---> dimmer---> transformer (12/24 volt)---> track...

this is the correct way to wire. Ambiance is a Seagull product and good choice for u/c lighting be mindful of the spacing and wattage...Yes these can be dimmed with (once again) a low voltage electronic dimmer lemme know if this helps