Service Panel Branch Wire supports

Old 08-29-06, 08:07 AM
Service Panel Branch Wire supports

This is a pretty basic question & one I'm sort of embarassed to ask. How do I support/clamp all of the feeders for my branch lines as they come out of my main service panel & up through the wall cavity? I intend on running the wires out of the top or the side of the panel & up through the wall cavity into the above roof space & then to the different areas of the home. I was told they all have to be clamped, & I assume I can't put 3 or 4 12/2 wires in one box clamp. So how do I go about securring these wires as they come out of the box & up through the wall cavity until they split off to their destinations? Can all the wires be bundled together? Does anyone have any good pics of a nice service panel installation?

Thanks,
Dan

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-06, 08:33 AM
The top of the service panel has knockouts where the wires exit. So do the sides of the box. You need to install clamps in each of the knpckouts you are using. In many cases you can put two cables together per knockjout/clamp.

Depending on the distance from the top of the panel to the ceiling joists, you may or may not need to support the wires. If you do, you can install a piece of plywood behind them and staple them to that piece of plywood.

Do not bundle all the wires together. That is wrong and asking for trouble.

Old 08-29-06, 08:46 AM
That's what I was wondering really, is what type of clamp to use. I'll have about 30 circuits running up. I thought the panel in my last house just had 2 big bundles running up through some sort of conduit fitting in the knockout. I could be wrong though. It's about 3' to the attic if I remember right. So I shouldn't need any staples until they branch off in the attic.

Old 08-29-06, 09:12 AM
Originally Posted by Danno6102
It's about 3' to the attic if I remember right. So I shouldn't need any staples until they branch off in the attic.
Incorrect.

Old 08-29-06, 09:55 AM
Originally Posted by racraft
Incorrect.
I cable support was every 4 1/2 feet on center max. Well, except for the staple that needs to be 12in from the panel.