Too many outlets on a circuit

Old 08-30-06, 05:07 AM
Too many outlets on a circuit

My wife and I moved into our home 2 years ago(newly built) and the home had an unfinished basement(2 car garage and 2 unfinished rooms). The basement is currently on 1 circuit. Both rooms are now finished and each have 4 electrical outlets. The garage has 3 electical outlets, and there are also 2 outside outlets on the same circuit which would make 13 outlets on the same circuit as well as lighting. As of right now we have had no problems with this set up but I am wondering if when we have 2 garage door openers installed if that would lead to an overloaded breaker. I dont think I would try this project myself, but how difficult would it be for an electrician to put some of these outlets on a seperate circuit? There is space available in the panel for more breakers.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-06, 05:18 AM
A circuit breaker trips when more current is pulled through than it is designed to allow. Just because you have receptacles installed means nothing as far as the load is concerned. The issue is what is being plugged into those receptacles and when are those devices being used.

Just adding two garage door openers to a circuit will not overload the circuit. However, if you attempt to use these garage door openers at the same time as whatever else is on the circuit you could have a problem.

All that being said, I would proceed as follows:

I would install a new 20 amp circuit for the openers. I would put nothing else on the circuit, other than the openers, except perhaps a small related load. How easy or difficult this will be depends on where the main panel is in relation to the garage and whether there are finished or unfinished walls and ceilings in place.

Depending on what I intended to use the rooms for in the basement, I would have the existing circuit split into two, or perhaps even three, separate circuits. How easy or difficult this will be depends on where the main panel is in relation to the existing circuit and whether there are finished or unfinished walls and ceilings in place.

Old 08-30-06, 05:32 AM
Thanks for the reply. As of right now the outlet for the garage doors were installed by the builder and are currently on the same circuit as the rest of the basement. The panel is currently in the garage. Would it be a big deal to move the garage door outlets to a seperate circuit?

Old 08-30-06, 05:47 AM
If the panel is in the garage, then the only issue surrounding this job would be whether the walls and the ceiling are finished or open. If they are open the the job is easy. If they are finished then the job is trickier. However, a good electrician can probably do the job with minimal, if any, holes cut into the walls and/or ceiling.