Range amperage requirement

Old 09-01-06, 04:37 PM
Range amperage requirement

i'm helping a neighbor run wire for an electric range. The installation manual doesn't state anything about amperge requirement, we also called Jenn Air and they did could not find the info. The range plate is exactly as follows '5.8KW 120/240V, 3.9KW 120/208V, 60HZ 30AMP' so 5800/240=24.2 amps is this correct? I'm confused about the '30 AMP' does this mean 30 amp circuit is good? We were going to run a 40 amp but if we only need 30 amps, with the price of wire, we'll run the #10 instead of 8.

Thanks Tom

Sponsored Links
Old 09-01-06, 04:55 PM
Yes, the mfg is telling you that even though the load calculates to 24 amps you cannot use a 25 amp breaker. (no bashing please they are out there, just hard to find) You must use a 30 amp circuit minimum.

Go for the 30 amp circuit and save on the copper. Be sure to run a 4 wire circuit. You will need 10-3 w/g if you are using romex.

Keep in mind that the next person who buys the house may not be able to use this for their range.

Does the range have a cord on it? or do you have to provide your own?

Edit: typo.

Last edited by jwhite; 09-01-06 at 05:57 PM.
Old 09-01-06, 05:55 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Just a clarification to JW's reply. I know it's only a typo, but he means 10/3 w/g.

JW, when did you get lifted from lowly forum dweller to the high status of moderator?
I must have been absent that day.

Old 09-01-06, 05:58 PM
Red face

Originally Posted by Speedy Petey
Just a clarification to JW's reply. I know it's only a typo, but he means 10/3 w/g.

JW, when did you get lifted from lowly forum dweller to the high status of moderator?
I must have been absent that day.
Just today. and I fixed my post. thanks.

Old 09-01-06, 06:48 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Ah-ha
Congrats!

Old 09-01-06, 11:10 PM
thanks

I bought 10-3 W/grd. I took the bondining strap off the range chassis to the neutral, so I have two hots, a neutral, and ground to chassis. I ended up buying the four wire 50 amp pigtail and receptacle. They also had a four wire 30 amp pigtail, but it was labeled as a dryer pigtail. I didn't know if there was some code on the pigtails, so I decided to play it safe and get the 50 amp labeled for a range.

thanks tom

Old 09-02-06, 03:58 AM
tola, you should have answered the question that I posted. I could have saved you a couple bucks... LOL.

First, there is nothing to prohibit the use of the 50 amp outlet on the 30 amp cirucit, unless you have another range in your house, that is also cord and plug connected.

While the 30 amp outlet says dryer on it, it is actaully a NEMA configuration. Nema has developed different designs of outlets for different voltages, amperages, and number of wires. The purpose is to prevent someone from plugging something into the wrong outlet, causing a problem.

The code tells us that we cannot have two outlets in the same building that use the same NEMA configuration and have different properties of voltage, amperage, number of wires.

I will have to reccomend that you take the range outlet back, and use the dryer outlet. This way the next person to use this kitchen will not be able to plug a 50 amp range into your 30 amp outlet.

Old 09-02-06, 06:51 PM
Those cords and recpticles are labelled "range" and "dryer" not becasue those fittings are only for those appliances, but becuse they are most typically used on them, because of their NEMA configuration.