Loose Power to 3 rooms with AC Kicks off

Old 09-03-06, 06:58 AM
I am having the same problem!

But mine only happens when my AC Kicks off, when this happens it kills the power in my living room, front bedroom and back bedroom. It does not trip the breaker.

Strange thing it is only happens at night say after 10:00 pm - Noon. After Noon everything is alright. This just started happening - no electrical work has been done.

Any thoughts?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-06, 07:08 AM
ncwiedner, do they just flicker or go hard off?

this sounds like a voltage drop problem. or the ac causing vibration at a loose connection.

Old 09-03-06, 09:01 AM
Are all the rooms that go off on the same circuit or are they on sveral different circuits?

Old 09-03-06, 11:48 AM
Thanks for the Replies

In the afternoon and in the evening the rooms will "flicker" the light dim then come back. --

The rooms go to 3 different circuit breakers in my box. My house was built in 1976 - I don't have the conventional circuit breakers, I am not sure of the name of them but I price them at Home Depot and they were $49.99

I am puzzled because I have lived here for 2 years and this just started happening

Old 09-03-06, 11:56 AM
I hate to keep asking questions, but it matters to me that I give the best possible advice.

Does this happen when the AC starts, or when it stops?

Where to you live, and how have the temperatures been lately?

I suspect one of two problems. Loose connection in the main panel, meter base, or utility line to the house. or voltage drop.

Old 09-03-06, 03:28 PM
No problem about the questions -- Thanks for the help.

The power to the rooms goes off with the A/C turns off, and this only happens late at night like after 10:00 pm and in the morning. Every thing is runs fine in the evening.

I live in Houston, TX -- It gets about in the upper 90's -- Over 100 if you go by the Heat Index

Thanks

Old 09-03-06, 06:52 PM
Group Moderator
Is there anything other then the AC that is usually on before ten but off after 10? If so try turning it and the AC off at the same time.

As noted it sounds like you may have a loose neutral and the other circuits are drawing through the AC. There might be a second device that also provides a path but is off after ten.

Old 09-03-06, 08:17 PM
Originally Posted by ncweidner
But mine only happens when my AC Kicks off, when this happens it kills the power in my living room, front bedroom and back bedroom. It does not trip the breaker.

Strange thing it is only happens at night say after 10:00 pm - Noon. After Noon everything is alright. This just started happening - no electrical work has been done.
The power is OK from Noon to 10pm. I would think that your A/C
cycles off and on during that time several times and nothing happens. You may want to turn the A/C off at 10pm and see if
you still get the outage.

Originally Posted by ray2047
As noted it sounds like you may have a loose neutral and the other circuits are drawing through the AC. There might be a second device that also provides a path but is off after ten.
Ray
If that were true You should have dim lts due to voltage drop
across the A/C unit.

Old 09-04-06, 05:21 AM
"In the afternoon and in the evening the rooms will "flicker" the light dim then come back. --"

and

"this only happens late at night like after 10:00 pm and in the morning. "

ncweidner, between these two statements you basicly have said that this happens all the time.

we will be able to help better if you relax and post accurate information.

The utility will change its output level at different times of day based on demand. It is possible to notice voltage drop during certain hours because of this.

Old 09-04-06, 07:05 AM
Correct. In the evening I notice the lights will dim but never loose power.

The rooms only seem to loose power I notice the the A/C shuts off. If I walk down the hall and turn the A/C back on then the power is restored to the rooms.

I did a test late last night when the A/C kicked off I lost power to the rooms. I went and turned the A/C up to 82 so the A/C would not kick back on for a while. About 10 - 15 minutes later power came back on to the rooms and the A/C had not kicked back on.

I dont know if this means anything or not.

Old 09-04-06, 07:24 AM
List all the 240 volt appliances in your house. Hot water, stove etc.

List how the electrical distributioin is done. overhead/underground. to meter , to panel a etc.

Is the hot water tank on a demand meter?

Old 09-04-06, 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by ncweidner
Correct. In the evening I notice the lights will dim but never loose power.
I did a test late last night when the A/C kicked off I lost power to the rooms. I went and turned the A/C up to 82 so the A/C would not kick back on for a while. About 10 - 15 minutes later power came back on to the rooms and the A/C had not kicked back on.
Well you have eliminated the A/C in this problem. If you have a loose neutral your lights will get dim on one circuit and bright on
the other circuit. Try turning on some other rooms and see if you get any that get bright.

Old 09-04-06, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by jwhite
List all the 240 volt appliances in your house. Hot water, stove etc.

List how the electrical distributioin is done. overhead/underground. to meter , to panel a etc.

Is the hot water tank on a demand meter?
No 240 Volt appliances -- everything is Gas, including the Hot water heater. Wiring is underground to the meter.

I plan on changing all the outlets in the 3 rooms to rule out a bad outlet and loose neutrals, I have already tighten the neutrals in the panel.

Old 09-04-06, 10:41 AM
So there are no sub panels in the house?

I am at a loss. I can only suggest you have someone come out and take a look in person.

Old 09-04-06, 01:10 PM
Call the power company NOW. So what that it is Labor Day. They work holidays. I suspect you MAY have a problem with your incoming 240 volts. Even if it is not the power company's problem, they may steer you i the right direction.