3 prong dryer cord - every wire is gray?

Old 09-03-06, 07:28 AM
3 prong dryer cord - every wire is gray?

Good Morning,

I love the luck I have when it comes to doing projects like doing a simple change of a dryer plug. Ok so I go to HD and get the new 3 prong Commercial Elec cord that I need. I find a nice link that someone posted here on this site that shows me great pictures of how to install the cord, it says after you install the strain relief into your dryer the right wire goes to the right screw, middle to middle and left to left. Pretty simple until you realize that Commercial Elec put the strain relief on backwards and now I think, hmmm should I just reverse it? Then I start questing everything including why doesn't Commercial Elec mark red, black and white in someway instead of having them all be gray. So my question is does it matter, how can I tell on all gray cords what goes to what, and should I simply return my cord to HD and get one that has the strain relief put on correctly and just rely on that?

Thanks for your help,
Greg

Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-06, 07:33 AM
nap
Yes, it makes a lot of difference which is hooked to what. If there is no identification, you can id them with a simple continuity light or meter.

Old 09-03-06, 07:36 AM
Please discribe the cord. Most dryer cords are flat. With the three wire kind, the neutral is in the middle.

The dryer will have three screws. One should be silver in color, the other two a dark copper color. The dark color screws are the hots, and the silver is the neutral.

Please post back and let us know what you have on the dryer and on the cord, so we can help further.

The two hots can go on either hot screw, so if the entire thing is backwards, then the neutral is still in the middle. So that would be OK

Old 09-03-06, 07:55 AM
Gray Dryer Cord

Hi J,

What you described is exactly what I have. It's a flat 3 wire dryer cable with what appears from the outside is a thinner center wire. The dryer itself has the three hook ups, looking at it from the back it has red wire/gold contact on the right, white wire/silver contact in the center and black wire/gold contact on the left.

You also stated I need to make sure with the 3 wire hookup that the ground is strapped to the neutral/white. When I took out the contact panel the ground wire which is attached to the dryer kind of outside of the panel ties directly in with the neutral/white wire. I assume this covers me as far as tying in the neutral and ground?

Thanks for your help,
Greg

Old 09-03-06, 08:11 AM
Yup you are good to go. the center wire is your neutral. the two outside are your two hots. the two hots are interchangable in this situation, so it will not matter which way the cord is feed into the dryer.

Please post back if you have any other questions.

Old 09-03-06, 08:13 AM
Thanks for all your help on this project. Very much appreciated!

Old 09-03-06, 08:42 AM
Ahhhh, sweet success. Clothes are a drying and the wife is happy.

Thanks again for all your help.