Oven fuse keeps blowing - Is it wired correctly?

Old 09-05-06, 08:54 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Oven fuse keeps blowing - Is it wired correctly?

Hello,

I have just had some work done to my flat - including upgrading my very old gas oven to a new gas/electric combi oven.

My handyman fitted a socket, but I am worried as other plugs are connected to the same fuse on the fusebox, and 3 fuses have blown in the last month (since it was installed).

Can anyone help me?

Much appreciated,
Bob

Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-06, 08:58 AM
A handyman should not be doing electrical work of this nature.

Where do you live (you should put this in your profile to get the best advice). What is the voltage of the gas/electric oven?

Does the unit work properly, other than the fuses blowing? Are any of the fuses that have blown the one for the oven?

Old 09-05-06, 09:21 AM
Thanks for the quick reply!

I had asked my handyman to get his electrician to do it, but Im pretty sure he did it himself anyway...

I will find out the voltage when I get home, but it had a 5A fuse in it. Sorry for not being more clear - ALL of the fuses blown were from the oven!

Thanks for your help...

Old 09-05-06, 09:31 AM
Most of our professioinal electricians are from the US. The theory is the same, but the practical aspects are different.

Just a guess here, but you need a new circuit pulled back to the fuse box. So much for handy men doing electrical work.

Old 09-05-06, 09:35 AM
Thank you - I appreciate that I wont be able to do this myself, but Im a curious bugger - would you be able to explain why ovens need their own circuit?

I tried finding an article on the internet, but couldn't find anything?

Thanks again to you both...

Old 09-05-06, 09:45 AM
I do not know what the setup is on your oven. Typical gas/electric ovens in the US only use the electric for the clock and control circuits. We put them on with other outlets all the time.

The issue is total amp draw. If the other outlets on your circuit were already aproaching 5 amps, then the extra bit that the oven took could have put it over its limit.

Old 09-05-06, 10:22 AM
The cooker needs its own 30A circuit from the consumer unit. If it was all gas, you could likely get away with running it off one of the kitchen circuits, but with the electric oven, you cannot.

Old 09-06-06, 05:55 AM
Thanks guys...

Old 09-06-06, 06:18 AM
Smile

Hello fron Georgia (USA)
The (U.S.) National electrical code requires a minimum of 40Amp (#8 awg copper or #6 aluminum if you're using non-metallic sheathed cable) dedicated (230V line to line/115 volts line to ground) circuit to power a freestanding range.
In the UK, I believe that your electrical supply is 220 Volt to ground..correct?
Did you replace the gas range with a totally electric one?
What is the Voltage and KW rating of the new range?
What size and type of wire runs from the fuse panel to the range?
OOps...Just re-read your post and you've already answered some of my questions although we still need some of the information.
steve

Old 09-07-06, 01:55 AM
Thanks Steve, if it helps this is the oven I got:
http://www.zanussi-electrolux.co.uk/node39.asp?ProdId=16021

I didnt wire it myself, so I dont know what type of wire - does this link help at all?

Thanks again,
Bob

Old 09-07-06, 04:31 AM
Smile

The specification sheet that you linked shows that the stove requires a 20A fuse. Input voltage is 220-230 Volts and I assume that is hot to ground. You need at least a number 12 copper cable from the fuse panel to the stove. I would run a new #12 circuit from the fuse panel if it were me.
steve