stevepana (Wiring)

Old 09-06-06, 06:27 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question stevepana (Wiring)

hello, i have a wiring problem. i have a 220v 50hrtz espresso coffee machine that i inherited 3 years ago. i had cut the european plug end and installed a 15 amp 220v 3 prong plug. i installed 2 15amp breakers and grounded the ground to the main panel box.i have power at the plug in the wall but nothing turns on. i was told to ground the ground wire on the neutral bus bar i did not do that because im affraid i might damage something or the machine. need help!

Old 09-06-06, 06:32 PM
fanic
Visiting Guest
the problem is not the plug its the hertz in the US its 60 hertz not 50 hertz... they do make a converter but you will need the old plug...

Old 09-06-06, 06:37 PM
UNPLUG IT NOW. They make converters for converting to a US standard (60 hz ) from a euro standard ( 50 hz). Find the old plug and buy a converter.

Last edited by twelvepole; 09-06-06 at 07:05 PM. Reason: Jokes, sarcasm, and put-downs not allowed in forums.
Old 09-06-06, 06:53 PM
R
What you did was not safe and good way to get yourself into trouble.

Either throw the machine away and buy one made for US power, or buy a converter designed to provide European voltage and frequency.

Last edited by twelvepole; 09-06-06 at 08:53 PM. Reason: Put-downs not allowed in forums.
Old 09-06-06, 07:44 PM
W
Have you considered the the thing might not be working? I would think something would happen when you pluged it in.
The coffee pots I see are nothing but a water heater.

Last edited by twelvepole; 09-06-06 at 08:06 PM. Reason: Quote codes turned off. Quoting entire post is redundant and distracting.
Old 09-06-06, 08:19 PM
I would not immediatly suspect a frequency issue. This machins is MAINLY a heater, which a difference in frequency could have a minor effect in net watts, but would probably operate somehow. Now, control circuits could be different. We don't know if there is an electronic ( digital) control set up. The big issue is the neutral. If this machine is actually like a dryer or stove, needing 120/240 then the lack of neutral could cause it to be dead.

WIthout the wiring manual for the machine, we are shooting in the dark/

Old 09-06-06, 08:28 PM
Do not use this appliance as it has the potential to burn your house down and cause more damage than a cup of esspresso is worth..,I digress

Old 09-06-06, 08:31 PM
L
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Originally Posted by 594tough
I would not immediatly suspect a frequency issue. This machins is MAINLY a heater, which a difference in frequency could have a minor effect in net watts, but would probably operate somehow. Now, control circuits could be different. We don't know if there is an electronic ( digital) control set up. The big issue is the neutral. If this machine is actually like a dryer or stove, needing 120/240 then the lack of neutral could cause it to be dead.

WIthout the wiring manual for the machine, we are shooting in the dark/
When I was in Europe, Everything worked.
You may be onto something. 220Vwith a neutral. Agreed HZ means little.
I should have paid better attention. But It was too much fun.

Recomended to all!!

Old 09-07-06, 03:23 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Gee, I had a post here yesterday......

I wonder where it went.

Old 09-07-06, 06:43 PM
C
The machine needs 240V to operate. The heating portion doesn't care about 60 hz, but any motor or electronics might.

European appliances typically don't care if they are run from neutral ended 240V, or a grounded center tapped 240V.

That said, it is not that it would be particularily unsafe to operate a worldwide 240V appliance on an American 240V circuit, if safely connected, it is just that the appliance has not been approved by the appropriate authorities for connection to domestic US power sources.

All that said, you onee only one to pole breaker, each pole on opposite legs of the supply, and a 240V receptical and plug attached to the appliance to work, although that would be illegal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: