Breaker box powered by generator

Old 09-07-06, 08:27 AM
Breaker box powered by generator

I am installing a new power center in a barn , Square D Q0612L100S. 15 AND 20 AMP MAX. It is off the grid and will soon be on solar panels. I would like to power it with a generator for now. What would be the best way to do this?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-06, 08:37 AM
If the generator hookup is temporary, run the generator inputs into the main breaker. You would disconnect the inputs from the power company (which may or may not already be disconnected).

A better solution might be to setup a generator hookup so that you can power the panel later on when there is not enough soloar power available, or if you need to service the solar equipment.

This would be easiest done by installing the appropriate main breaker interlock kit and an appropriate generator hookup into an installed 240 amp breaker.

Old 09-08-06, 01:26 PM
generator powered panel

can you give me just a little more on that? there is 6 breakers.
nothing that looks like a main breaker. there are 3 lugs. 2 are
at the ends of the breaker bars and 1 looks like ground.
I assume I would the black & white to each lug and the bare
wire to ground.
thanks

Old 09-08-06, 01:58 PM
Okay, you don't have a main breaker. Or the panel is to be fed through one of the in place breakers. Eventually you will need a main breaker, but you can get to that when you get to it.

The three lugs are for the two hot wires and the neutral. You will also connect the ground to this same lug, since eventually this panel (or the one you install) will need to be properly grounded.

You can figure out which lug is which by examining what they do inside the panel, although if you think about it will be obvious.

Old 01-30-07, 11:23 AM
Originally Posted by laveta View Post
I am installing a new power center in a barn , Square D Q0612L100S. 15 AND 20 AMP MAX. It is off the grid and will soon be on solar panels. I would like to power it with a generator for now. What would be the best way to do this?
Since it will be "off the grid", you needn't worry about utility power. Since you have a 6-space box, if you want main breaker protection, you will use up two of the slots with a double-pole breaker, as close to the same rating as those breakers built in to the generator. You will have four slots remaining, which can power up to 8 circuits.

If you're looking for interlock action between your solar array (I assume it is through an AC inverter), you will use 4 slots, two double-pole breakers, side-by-side. Then use the rocker-arm lever that Square-D uses in their 60A Gen panel to keep both breakers from being on simultaneously. This set up will leave you with only 2 full-size slots, but if you use the tandem QO breakers, you will still be able to get four circuits powered.