Anyone Familiar with "Insteon"

Old 09-08-06, 04:53 PM
Anyone Familiar with "Insteon"

I have the basic idea and i understand the basic principles..just kinda curious if anyone else has run into this on a job. (For those of you who may not..its a cheaper solution to "vantage or lutron" I guess the real question is If you reverse the correct way to wire a 3-way where do you get your nuetral for the dimmer? What about Switch loops...justr asking for input..."ppreciate it....A.M.P.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-08-06, 06:21 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Dimmers don't have neutrals. The neutral goes to the load. Why would you want to reverse, or otherwise augment the proper wiring of a 3 way switch?

Old 09-08-06, 06:23 PM
hence why i asked if any body KNEW anything about INSTEON This is not just a dimmer....it is a dimming SYSTEM which allows one location with the correct programming to communicate to another location via RF signal (thus you NEED a neutral)

Old 09-08-06, 06:31 PM
wrong wording...

Its not that i hae "reversed" the wiring of a three way. Here's a hypothetical

Normal 3-way: Hot in one switch box attaches to the common screw, your travellers attach to the other screws (and ground to ground screw) carry your neutrals through attach the switch leg to the common screw of the other 3-way switch....

"reversed" 3-way : hot and switch leg into one box with 14/3/wg thus hot makes up to white of 14/3/wg (proper marking of white required) and switch leg neutral makes up with line neutral. switch leg goes on common and thravellers attach as above other end: White (with black markings) goes on common and travellers attach to other screws.

Old 09-08-06, 10:33 PM
Check www.smarthome.com for information concerning Insteon. It is a second (or tenth?) generation from the original X-10 system of home automation.

Old 09-11-06, 01:08 PM
Insteon

I've got a few INSTEON dimmers in my home. I believe the neutral requirement is for two purposes:

1. Powerline signal communication with other dimmers. (While INSTEON does utilize RF in the form of several plug-in repeaters required for a new installation to communicate across powerline phases, the dimmers themselves communicate with other dimmers on the same phase through modulation of a data signal onto the powerline, synchronized with the AC wave.)

2. The dimmers themselves draw a small amount of power for the LEDs and presumably for the communication module.

Unlike X-10, where I have read that some dimmers do not have a neutral line requirement, Smarthome to my knowledge has not released any INSTEON dimmer that doesn't require a neutral.

The link to Smarthome.com is a good place to start - they have installation manuals and wiring diagrams on-line, as well as a searchable knowledgebase. (Their support reps seem to do a good job.)

I don't have the wiring diagram in front of me, but I believe that the basic principle for INSTEON is that only one dimmer (call it the master) controls the load, and the connections are modified accordingly. The other dimmer (slave) communicates via the powerline with the other dimmer, which actually switches power to the load. Thus, the slave dimmer won't have any connection to the load, if I remember correctly. Think of it more in terms of the slave being a remote control for the master, and this will perhaps make the odd three-way wiring make more sense...

Old 09-11-06, 07:39 PM
Just to update...this insteon job came up today and yep i had o do it...a little advice for anyone who is looking to wire or build a house and utilize this technology.

I see its purpose and honestly if the house is thought out before hand it can be a realy useful tool...however do discuss this with your electrician beforehand (as with all dimmer applications)and make sure he understands the principles behind the dimmers you plan on using.

The insteon product is a viable dimming system in that it makes the idea of Vantage or Lutron systems more affordable to the average consumer. Basiclly you can turn on any light in your ouse from just bout any given location (provided it is thought out before hand)

Yes this product does require a neutral for each dimmer and you do need a dimmer on both ends of a 3-way. however there is really no need for a three way switch to be wired as a three way switch with this product (as it has the ability to make any switch a three way to any other location in the house) Thus the need for a little pre-wire thought. (yes if i were going to wire my house over again and utilize this dimming system i would still wire for standard 3-way switches.

In short, a very useful tool and learning experience if there are any questions or thoughts please feel free to share and i will gladly share what knowledge i have gleaned frm the experience...

(as an after thought, if the house was not thought out for use with this system its not fun but it can be done and you don't have to run any additional wires so it is very retrofittable...if thats a word)