GFCI receptacle on AFCI circuit

Old 09-09-06, 04:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question GFCI receptacle on AFCI circuit

Have a 20 amp AFCI breaker protected circuit in bedroom. Want to add an exterior GFCI waterproof receptacle on wall outside of bedroom. Can I tie into existing circuit, or are there issues with having a GFCI receptacle on an AFCI circuit?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-06, 04:50 PM
It's doable. I avoid it when I can (but sometimes, like now, it's easier by far to just do it.)

The issue I see in about half of the instances are that the act of resetting the GFCI receptacle will cause the AFCI breaker to trip. Then you can reset it last and you're good. Just an extra step sometimes.

Old 09-09-06, 04:54 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I've never faced this dilema, I don't see why not. But you may want to wait for others to chime in.
The only issue I would see is in operating yard equipment, These may either "fool" or wear out the AFCI.

Old 09-11-06, 06:16 AM
BarnesJohn,

Nothing prohibits this application as by adding a GFCI you are going to actually get the GFCI protection on that exterior receptacle as well as the AFCI protection.

While I do not like the practice of adding exterior receptacles to a current AFCI circuit......in the NEC 2008 revision it will be a moot point as all 15A and 20A 120V branch circuits will be required to be AFCI protected ( if the proposal stands )

Just be sure you comply to a "In-Use" style cover on the exterior if the requirements apply.

Old 09-11-06, 06:44 AM
AFCI on all branch circuits

So would it be wise to add AFCI breakers to all branch circuits that I am about to run in anticipation of 2008? I haven't kept up on the proposed changes, but understand this is a disputed topic.

Old 09-11-06, 06:54 AM
Nothing you do now needs to comply with proposed changes to the NEC, even if those changes are certain to happen. What you do now needs to comply with whatever rules apply for the area of the country you are working in.

When the rules change, you are NOT required to go back and change existing work that has already been done and inspected.

Of course you can put in AFCI breakers if you want to, but you do not have to. The choice is yours.

Old 09-11-06, 08:51 PM
As RAC stated....you are not required to do anything as if your installation meets TODAYS NEC requirements...if they change in the future they do not need to be changed.

However, if at some point to remodel for example it may need to be compliant what what ever NEC is enforced at the time of the remodel.

But no you do not have to ANTICPATE anything.....if you wish to add AFCI's thats your own choice.

Old 09-11-06, 09:01 PM
Originally Posted by ElectricalMan
in the NEC 2008 revision it will be a moot point as all 15A and 20A 120V branch circuits will be required to be AFCI protected ( if the proposal stands )
I need to get on that revision board. The bribes must be HUGE!

Old 09-11-06, 09:06 PM
lol...WHAT....you think they are ALL on the "TAKE"....lol