Door Bell Code

Old 09-09-06, 06:59 PM
Gen
Door Bell Code

I have unusual idea. I plan to install a loud doorbell set (so I can hear it anywhere) with pushbuttons on the front and back door.
I'd also like to put a cut-off switch some where so that the thing will not ring when we are napping or don't want to be disturbed. I want to know if this raises any code issues.

Are there any other code requirements besides?

I plan to put the transformer on a lampholder ceiling box in the unfinished basement.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-09-06, 07:09 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Wink

What happens when I knock REALY REALY hard when your napping? (aside from the obviouse).

No there is no code against this, there is code on the wire and install methods,if the door bell is installed right just add a switch to it and your good.

Don't worry I'll call before I bang on the door, So as not to upset you.

Old 09-09-06, 07:17 PM
forever the smarta-- huh lee? One point to be redundant...make sure the junction box in the basement will always be accessible.
one question though, why not have the transformer in the junction box behind the door chime?

Old 09-09-06, 07:22 PM
Gen
Originally Posted by lectriclee
What happens when I knock REALY REALY hard when your napping? (aside from the obviouse).
lect, I'm going to put a note on the door says--"SEE DOOR BELL"

OK how deep is the code stuff? I know how to fish and staple wire and I thought this was a no brainer otherwise.
What constitutes "installed right."
I'm pulling a permit as a homeowner, so I need to know THANKS!!

PS I've never seen a J-box behind a door chime is this required? Interesting idea.
It would mean a thicker wire set to fish.

Old 09-09-06, 07:33 PM
Basicaly, Make sure the wire is rated to be in the walls, (A good thermostat wire). Make sure the transformor is accessible and secure. staple the exposed wires and you should be fine.
Wire and accessible are the big things.

(sorry AMP)

Old 09-09-06, 07:36 PM
ok so i would install a door bell...

run my 14/2/wg to a single gang switch box...then to the 2-gang which will house my transformer and be covered up by the chime set then i wold run my LV wire (typically 18g 2 pair) from the 2 gang to the front door (be sure to identify the difference b/w front door and back door) and pull LV to the back door.

then i would hook it up and put a note on the front door for Lectriclee to bother someone else.

P.S. at least local Code states LV must be run in a separate hole (if drilled) and be run 2" away from Line voltage

Old 09-09-06, 08:02 PM
Is it legal to put the trans. in a recessed box? Does it have the needed air circ? (Just curious) Not that it's a bad idea. I've always located them at the panel or other constant source, then run LV from there.

(again sorry AMP)

Old 09-09-06, 08:36 PM
No need to apologize just having fun with ya...(anout the smart alec comment) Whenever i jave installed a Door bell i have always put it in a 2 gang box and then mounted the chime over top of it... the dorbell chime casing is not so tight as to restrict the airflow over the transformer. plus it gives ease of function to the trans, wire, and door chime if troubleshooting...I have seen alot of transformers mounted to the panel or ina location close by the panel...I have never really understood this...but it wold be next to impossible to mount the transformer ona reecessed panel as i install ( Cutler hammer CH Panels normally unless otherwise requested by homeowner or builder)

But Lectriclee don;t apologize for anything, I appreciate your input into all converstions I might even learn something from you someday (ha ha <--- lighthearted jab)

Old 09-10-06, 07:04 AM
I am a fan of the transformer behind the chime in a two gang box trick.

I have even been back on service calls where the tx or chime burnt up because the button was stuck. I have never seen any damage to the plastic box.

I did find out that the lv wires need to be run at least 1/4 inch away from the HV wires in the j box. Easy enough, just be carefull tucking everything in, or sleeve the lv wires with romex insulation. 725,55 (D)

Old 09-11-06, 02:37 PM
Gen
Thank you everyone for your replies. This has been helpful