Cut a 14/2 wire in half behind a wall, new receptacle?

Old 09-12-06, 12:38 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cut a 14/2 wire in half behind a wall, new receptacle?

Before I get into the how the wire was cut, let me give you a little back story of what's going on.

I just bought a television that I want to mount on a wall in my basement. Upon inspection, I discover that the wall has metal studs spaced 24" apart. Not wanting to risk the safety of a $2K TV, I decided that I would cut out a 4x8 section, to get to the studs, reinforce them with wood studs, and then cover the hole with a 4x8 sheet of veneered oak plywood stained to match the media bench that will sit in front.

Here is the problem that I ran into:
My brother in law was assisting me in the demo, and while using the Sawzall, he cut a 14/2 romex cable in half that connected two receptacles (and others along the line in other rooms.)

I saw this as an opportunity to just put another receptacle directly behind the media cabinet. I figured that it would be a pretty easy install. I had total access to all of the wires, so I could just hook up a new receptacle to connect the two.

LOAD in, LINE out. Well after installing the new receptacle, I plugged in something into the bottom slots and they appeared to work fine, then I plugged it into the top slots and a hole bunch of orange sparks shot out.

Any idea why this would happen?? Was it Just a bad receptacle that I used or did I do something wrong entirely?

Right now I just have the two wires joined together by another length of 14/2 romex cable, tied at the ends. Is this safe?

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-06, 12:56 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
#Right now I just have the two wires joined together by another length of 14/2 romex cable, tied at the ends. Is this safe?*
For right now yes that will work, Not for more time than needed.

Did you shut the breaker OFF?
Did you inspect the cable for other damage?
How do you know it is in 1/2?
Did you install a new box for the TV?
If so,Metal or plastic?
Outlet: 120V/15A? 2-vertical blades and a round )
How exactly did your first connections go?
Black to brass screws/White to silver/Baretwisted together and terminated to the box (if metal)and the green screw?

Inquiring minds need to know.

Old 09-12-06, 01:28 PM
#Right now I just have the two wires joined together by another length of 14/2 romex cable, tied at the ends. Is this safe?*
For right now yes that will work, Not for more time than needed.

Did you shut the breaker OFF?
-->I shut the breaker off prior to connecting the wires to the receptacle.
Did you inspect the cable for other damage?
--> yes. I cut away the damaged section and made a clean cut.
-->I am not sure what you mean by this question.
Did you install a new box for the TV?
If so,Metal or plastic?
-->yes, a metal box
Outlet: 120V/15A? 2-vertical blades and a round )
-->yes, 120V/15A
How exactly did your first connections go?
Black to brass screws/White to silver/Baretwisted together and terminated to the box (if metal)and the green screw?
-->Yes, exactly as you have described it.

One thing that has just occured to me. if the screws of the receptacle touched the side of the box, after the power was back on, would that cause the spark?

Old 09-12-06, 01:35 PM
*One thing that has just occured to me. if the screws of the receptacle touched the side of the box, after the power was back on, would that cause the spark?*
Yup! Ground the metal box and the receptical! Tape the receptical and let us know.

-->I am not sure what you mean by this question>
Did you measure it? (wink) Sorry couldn't resist.
I know what you meant.

Old 09-12-06, 01:52 PM
I just created two simple graphics for your viewing pleasure. In the first you can see what my wall looks like now, minus of course the wire ties (for dramatic effect)

In the second graphic, is this the correct way to fix the problem?
I think that the cut wire will more than likely be too short, so I will need to add some length to it in order to make the new connection. Shold those connections be placed in a box, or can I just tie the connections with wire nuts? Also, would metal or plastic boxes be recommended for the connection boxes or receptacle box?

thanks for the advice!

Image1 http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/edouble/wallGraphic.jpg

Image 2
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v346/edouble/wallGraphicNew.jpg

Old 09-12-06, 02:28 PM
My advice is to NOT use this circuit (even if you get it working) for the TV. I certainly would not run an expensive TV off a shared circuit.

My advice is to run a new dedicated circuit for the TV and whatever else you intend to buy for it (DVD player, home theater components, etc.).

As for your problem, I would replace the cable back to both ends.

Old 09-12-06, 03:36 PM
Smile

ewheatly, I totaly agree with Racraft.

Each post/responce changes. Therefore the answers aswell.
Make up our minds so we may give you the best viable solution to your issue.

Some here have telepathy,most don't.

Old 09-12-06, 04:55 PM
Originally Posted by racraft
My advice is to NOT use this circuit (even if you get it working) for the TV. I certainly would not run an expensive TV off a shared circuit.
Out of curiosity, why not?

Can something happen to electronic devices if ran on a circuit with other outlets on it?

What about computers, separate circuit as well?

Old 09-12-06, 05:02 PM
No code issue.

Preferably, you would like any thing of this nature alone. Current draw for one and balance for another.
Racraft and others can explain better.
(I'm no technical writer)

Old 09-12-06, 05:53 PM
Depending on what you plug in and use for your home theater or computer, you may very well approach using a significant portion of a 15 or even a 20 amp circuit. Depending upon what else is on the circuit, you may OVERLOAD the circuit, and you certainly don't want your breaker tripping in the middle of your favorite movie, or BEFORE you have saved that 15 page document on the computer.

Further, a general purpose circuit may be used for a vacuum cleaner or something else that may very cause interference on the circuit. The interference, or the voltage drop caused by the startup of said vacuum cleaner may damage the sensitive electronics of your hardware.

Old 09-12-06, 06:07 PM
as per your questions...

any and all junctions on wires are to be made inside of junction boxes. (this is law) Secondly, as to metal or plastic boxes, i'm pretty sure thats not a code issue (unless local codes override) thus your preferences would be the deciding factor. Just remember that these boxes must remain accessible regardless. I do agree with the other posters here. I would run a dedicated ckt de to the sinsitivity of your equipment. I'm guessing you have bought either a DLP or plasma..the best reason i can give for the dedicated ckt is these are VERY sensitive peices of equipment any surge from a vaccuum or something of that nature could cause Bad things to happen. ( this would not be a good thing...hence the word bad)
any other questions give a holler

Old 09-12-06, 07:08 PM
Thanks AMP. Forgot to mention the possable splice point.

Old 09-13-06, 05:43 AM
Thank you for all of the great Advice!!

I agree with putting the Plasma on it's own circuit, and would like to actually do that. One thing that I bought as part of my Home Theatre package is a Belkin Pure AV electrical conditioner/surge protector. This device is suppose to regulate the current so any device plugged into it is not contaminated by voltage spikes.

On to running a new circuit. I am actually having an electrician come by in a few weeks to replace my old Federal Pacific panel, and update the service to 200 amp. Prior to him doing this, could I just run the necessary wire to the panel, and have him hook it up when he changes the service? What amp circuit would be recommended? What Gauge wire?

Also, it was mentioned earlier that you must have access to the spliced wire/junction boxes. What is the reason for this?

thanks!

Old 09-13-06, 06:05 AM
If you are running a new circuit I would go with a 20 amp circuit. This means 12 gage copper wire. This would be NM 12-2 with ground for most of the US.

An electrician might or might not hook up a cable for a circuit you run. The problem is that he or she is responsible for the work you do. Until and unless you read and learn a little, you don't know how to properly run wires. It is NOT as simple as run the the wires, there are rules about where and how they are run.

Junction boxes must be accessible to avoid problems in the future. Any place where wires are joined together is a potential failure point. If you bury a junction box, you will forget where it is located, and the next owner of the house will have no clue it is even there.

Old 09-13-06, 06:09 AM
Thanks. I only have to run the wire about 15 feet to the box, in pretty much a straight line.

Old 09-13-06, 06:11 AM
Smile

[QUOTE=ewheatley]

Also, it was mentioned earlier that you must have access to the spliced wire/junction boxes. What is the reason for this?

The National Electrical Code requires it.
314.29 (2005 NEC)
Accessible as in not having to remove any part of the building to access them. This means that you can't cover them with the wall finish (bury them).
You can use handy boxes with blank covers to contain your splices. Paint the covers the same color as the wall finish to hide them.
What ever you do, the splices have to be accessible when you're finished.
steve

Old 09-14-06, 01:50 PM
Thanks again for the advice.

Would you recommend an ISOLATED GROUND RECEPTACLE, or just a standard 120v/15a receptacle. If this is the only receptacle in the line, will there be interference in the line?

thanks-

Old 09-14-06, 01:56 PM
Regular 15A/120V (IMO)
Most likely none.

Old 09-14-06, 03:20 PM
An isolated ground in a residence does nothing for the circuit, and only serves to increase the cost.

Old 09-14-06, 05:13 PM
Wheatly,
Loved the graphics; what program did you use to create them?
Hope the electrical gets sorted out.
Bob